Air Test & Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYRob24

Reaction score
For new construction, is it ok to pressure test your water heater with air or is it left disconnected from the supply lines (or valves turned off) during the air pressure test?

My water heater can handle 150 psi, so pressure testing to say 80 psi wouldn't seem to be an issue. With that being said, I'm wondering if components can still get damaged at elevated levels of pressure but within the said limits. As an example, I will have an expansion tank on my supply line and I was instructed by the manufacturer to disconnect it for the air test because the internal bladder can get stretched out during an air test even though it too is rated to 150 psi of pressure. Just wondering what rules of thumb there are for air testing water heaters? Also, I did talk to the water heater manufacturer and was told that an air test should be fine, but the customer service agent I talked to didn't seem like he/she really knew.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks