Advice on Saltwater Intrusion

Users who are viewing this thread

Cflorane

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on my situation. We live in St. Bernard Parish in Louisiana. We are having issues with salt water intrusion coming up the Mississippi River. The River is what local municipalities use for drinking water around here. We are supposed to see salt water in the St Bernard parish’s water system sometime around the 10th-13th of October with sodium becoming above safe drinking levels of 250ppm around the 19th or so. I really don’t care about the drinking water problem. That’s a non issue. My worry are our pipes throughout the house. They are all made of copper and from what I’ve read copper is the least resistant to salt water. So I have somewhat of a plan just want to see from a plumber’s perspective if doing what I want to do would mess up anything more than the saltwater in the lines.

I want to add another shutoff above the one already going into the house. In between the two shutoffs I want to put in a hose bib to be able to still use whatever the parish is pushing out but without it going through the house pipes for how many weeks or months this could possibly last. Would have an ample supply of water to fill buckets for flushing toilets, washing pots and pans etc…, can fill camping showers and hang in the shower to still get clean and all. I could attach the hose to the washing machine and still wash clothes. My question is without water running through the lines for that long would anything get messed up once we opened the main back up again after all this crap is over. I’m especially wondering about the hot water heater. We wouldn’t be using any water from faucets or tubs or anything. Just what we could pull in from the hose bib. Any issues that might arise? Ideas or info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• A7D30704-6AA5-43B4-84E3-65D4ADAC058E.jpeg
    A7D30704-6AA5-43B4-84E3-65D4ADAC058E.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 60

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I had been reading about this coming disaster. So sorry for you all.
Isolating the house piping will cause water inside to stagnate to some degree, so, when brought back into service, flush the piping thoroughly and refrain from drinking or inhaling for some period. Think rancid more than anything else I can think of.
Hoping that brighter minds can develop a long term solution for what will be a terrible water quality future for you all.

Cflorane

Reaction score
Got it done. Rather have it and decide not to use it than want to shut it all off to the house and not have the option available. It looks like a Frankenstein experiment but it works.

Attachments

• 81F9C9C3-57F6-41A8-9F0E-CE0A6EC55E46.jpeg
    81F9C9C3-57F6-41A8-9F0E-CE0A6EC55E46.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 54
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks