Advice needed: Toilet flange in deck mud floor

Users who are viewing this thread

ajrahnter

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for any suggestions given.

I am in the process of remodeling our master bathroom. I demoed the old mud floor and have everything ready for the new mud to start tomorrow.

The toilet flange was not previously anchored, at least not with any screws. It was sitting on the mud bed, just slightly above the tile.

Would you recommend going that route again? The deck mud will be approximately 1.25" on plywood subfloor.
rsz_20240318_102553.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks like that should work.. may be a tad high.. I prefer flush to just atop finished floor with metal flanges. Too high causes interference issues. If the base of the flange won't be resting on the finish, then I would drill it and get it dialed in.. way easier now than later.

In either case I would secure it with screws to the subfloor.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
looks a little high might concider replacing flange. definately needs screws I like screwing into solid backing like blocks but screwing to sub floor good enough use brass screws not rust metal screws

ajrahnter

Reaction score
Can I ask why lowering would be the best option? My understanding is that deck mud should not be less than 1.25" inches thick. My tile is approximately .25" with mesh backing and then with thin set it would put me just where it currently is.

Would stainless steel be good option for screws?

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure that flange is glued in. Can you wiggle it up and out?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can I ask why lowering would be the best option? My understanding is that deck mud should not be less than 1.25" inches thick. My tile is approximately .25" with mesh backing and then with thin set it would put me just where it currently is.

Would stainless steel be good option for screws?
I think the assumption we (most) all had was that your flange was glued in and that your proposed thickness of mud and tile would leave the flange too high above the finished floor.

Stainless or brass screws are preferred, but stainless is usually more readily available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks