Adding new ground rod

Users who are viewing this thread

Smith333

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to go with the grounding jumper between the two copper pipes servicing the water softener. I'm not sure if I was clear enough with this, but the only two devices that this jumper will service are the CATV ground, and the rooftop-antenna "lightning surge protector". The electrical service has a #6 conductor attached at the service entry.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to go with the grounding jumper between the two copper pipes servicing the water softener. I'm not sure if I was clear enough with this, but the only two devices that this jumper will service are the CATV ground, and the rooftop-antenna "lightning surge protector". The electrical service has a #6 conductor attached at the service entry.

Just out of curiosity, did you check the directions about bonding the water softner? My unit came with a clamp to make this connection, every whole house water kit I've ever seen also came with a jumper, I just find it odd that yours did not.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I'm not sure I understand your statement? grounding the electrical system is for limiting voltage imposed by lightning, line surges or unintentional contact with higher voltage lines... thats it...

If you loose the neutral wire to the pole transformer, the ground rods try to keep the neutral voltage near zero and that causes current to flow from the panel to the ground rod.

I think the #6 AWG requirement is based on the highest amperage of a average panel. Since 240 volt loads don't count, it's only 80 or so amps.

Having the ground wire burn off in this type of event would increase the danger since it would leave the ground wire "live" :eek:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I think the #6 AWG requirement is based on the highest amperage of a average panel. Since 240 volt loads don't count, it's only 80 or so amps.
No, it's got to do with the maximum amount of current a ground rod can actually flow.
I forget the numbers but two rods can only flow so much current, and #6 is more than adequate, so any larger wire is meaningless.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
If you loose the neutral wire to the pole transformer, the ground rods try to keep the neutral voltage near zero and that causes current to flow from the panel to the ground rod.

Having the ground wire burn off in this type of event would increase the danger since it would leave the ground wire "live" :eek:

They can try all they want, but it is not want they were designed to do...Nor the reason the NEC requires them.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks