Adding a cleanout ~5’ away from WYE toilet connection

Users who are viewing this thread

riverdale

Reaction score
I now have the opportunity to add a cleanout in my second floor bathroom (Ontario, Canada). See attached diagram.

The drain from Location A -B is in a relatively inaccessible kitchen bulkhead below the floor joists. However, if I extend the drain line from B-C I can add a cleanout which would be easily accessible from a small closet. On the face of it, adding a cleanout seems like a good idea, but with plumbing there are always numerous factors/codes to be considered. I wondering if the cleanout being 4-5’ up a “dry” drain line will cause issues, likely at the WYE at Location B, that I should be aware of...?

There is currently one cleanout on the main line leading to the sewer. It is in the basement (just above floor slab) in roughly the same vertical alignment of this bathroom and the kitchen directly below, so very little horizontal runs in this drain pipe.

Thank you for any input.

Attachments

• A6887162-AC2E-480A-9FC4-F65BDF8FCD92.jpeg
    A6887162-AC2E-480A-9FC4-F65BDF8FCD92.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 168

Reach4

Reaction score
Nobody will object to your cleanout plan. I am not a plumber.

riverdale

Reaction score
Excellent, thanks again Reach4! I didn't think there was an issue but wanted to double check the ~4' "dead space" upstream of the WYE wasn't going to be an issue with solids building up etc. Having said that, the toilet which is also connected to that WYE, has a nice gradual curve to it so flow during a flush should be great. Cheers!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks