ABS to clay connection

Users who are viewing this thread

babbo

Reaction score
I am replacing about 38 feet of old clay pipe with 4" ABS. I'm doing it ten feet at a time because the line must remain in use and I can't set aside time to do it all in one go*, so I have to slide clay-to-ABS Fernco no-hubs onto the ABS pipe and then, when the pipe is in place, slide the no-hub onto the clay. Is there something I can use to make the rubber slide more easily? I was thinking of dish detergent since it will rinse away.

Thanks.

* The soil is hard-compacted, dry clay and it is a bear to dig.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Below ground? A traditional no hub shouldn't go underground. A fernco is what you'd use and they tend to slide easier.

babbo

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. The no-hubs I have are made by Fernco. Do you mean Fernco hubs with the stainless steel jacket? I installed a no-hub without the jacket when I added a clean out 25 years ago and it looks fine.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. The no-hubs I have are made by Fernco. Do you mean Fernco hubs with the stainless steel jacket? I installed a no-hub without the jacket when I added a clean out 25 years ago and it looks fine.
A no hub only has 1"of makeup onto the pipe. It's not enough for an underground connection and not approved from the manufacturer for underground use. A plain fernco can be used underground. There is also a plain fernco with an added stainless sleeve that can be used underground, but a no hub is a different thing and for above ground only.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no hub couplings are used for cast iron ? I think Babbo might just be using the wrong wording . technicaly there may be something illegal about putting soap on the joint , as bowl wax, and many types of pipe dope that arent approoved for plastic cant be applied but personaly I wouldnt worry about soap

Reach4

Reaction score
Usually you want to use unshielded flex couplers for this. https://www.fernco.com/products/flexible-couplings/stock-couplings There are expensive shielded couplings that can go below or above ground. Dish soap is fine.

PVC 3 and 4 inch pipe come as both foamcore, and pressure-rated solidcore. Foamcore (DWV rated) is adequate, but if you want to have the strongest, go solid dual rated (pressure +DWV) rated.

Are you digging with hand shovels?

Last edited:

babbo

Reaction score
Yep, I'm digging with a shovel. I am recently retired and this is what I do instead of going to the gym. Like they say, pain ain't nothing but French bread. And btw, I live in So Cal so there's no frost heave and when I'm done all joints will be glued except where the cast iron exits the house and connects to the new ABS. Thank you all for the help.

babbo

Reaction score
A no hub only has 1"of makeup onto the pipe. It's not enough for an underground connection and not approved from the manufacturer for underground use. A plain fernco can be used underground. There is also a plain fernco with an added stainless sleeve that can be used underground, but a no hub is a different thing and for above ground only.
The Fernco rubber couplings I'm using have 1.75" contact with the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks