5 year old Water heater not staying lit

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
Hello - I've got a Rheem XG50T06EC38U0 50 gallon water heater that I installed about 5 years ago that won't stay lit. A couple of days ago I relit the pilot light and it stayed lit for about 24 hours. Then when I tried to light it again it burned for about 20 seconds then went out and wouldn't come back on. Does that sound like the thermocouple? thanks in advance for any info!

Also - the sight glass has always been fogged up - is that normal?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
You should check the filter to make sure it is clear to allow enough air for proper combustion and check the flue for proper updraft .

Take out the burner assembly and make sure everything is clean , make sure there is no flammable fumes by the heater

If it still happens again you need to replace the safe guard assembly

Fog is not normal

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Also a glass device may have given up the ghost which causes a shut down and needs to be replaced oil filled

tracyballard

Reaction score
I pulled the burner assembly out and it had a lot of white corrosion on it. I tried to brush it off some, then blow it off with an air compressor to clean it up a little, and I also tried to clean up the thermocouple tip with some fine sandpaper. When I reinstalled it (with fresh gasket and cleaned window, it wasn't fogged just covered with white corrosion) the stove lit up fine but when I turned it to full power it only burned for about 3 seconds before it went out and wouldn't light again. So now I've ordered a whole new burner assembly and it's supposed to be delivered today. If that doesn't fix it, I guess I would either need to get a new water heater or call someone to look at this one.

tracyballard

Reaction score
Upon further examination, the TRD is tripped (thermal fuse). I also noticed when I first started working on it that there was a lot of dust on the inlet vents. I cleaned those at first but today I was trying to blow off the inner filter with my air compressor when I noticed the tripped TRD. Since it's still under warranty they're sending me a new one. I wonder if it would be a horrible idea to bypass this fuse in the meantime.....

Phog

Reaction score
This is a gas appliance, the consequences of messing with the safety system can be pretty dire. I would definitely not run the system unattended with bypassed thermal fuse, even temporarily.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
'
"I wonder if it would be a horrible idea to bypass this fuse in the meantime..."

GREAT way to void the warrantee and risk death

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks