2nd floor laundry

Users who are viewing this thread

bkprod

Reaction score
I would like to put a washer/dryer on the 2nd floor of our house. My plan is to build a small platform that the units will sit on, to allow for an overflow drain under the washer.
I am trying to safegaurd against any potential water problems, so I have purchased an emergency automatic shut-off valve, along with a water sensor to sit in the washer tray. My issue is with 2 things: 1) My licensed plumber suggests running the overflow drain through an outside wall, where it will simply run into a gutter on my roof. Does that sound right?
2) Because of the location of the laundry, our plumber suggests using an AAV (air-admittance vent) instead of trying to run a long complex vent line up through the roof. Is this generally accepted? All plumbing (including the aav)will be accessible behind a knee-wall, under the roof line.
Thanks!!

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I am strickly a beginner, but I am pretty certain there is no problem using a AAV in your situation. On the other hand, I an also pretty certain that you cannot allow waste water to exit your house like that. Your washer would be spewing gray water and most states do not allow you to dump that outside.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd suggest you consult another plumber, and make certain he is licensed. I can't imagine a licensed plumber suggesting you drain the washer into your roof gutter! The AAV will work OK, but it does have to have easy access in case of failure. The real problem is with the drain. The drain requires a 2" drain line, a trap, and a vent. The AAV takes care of the vent requirement, but that's all.

bkprod

Reaction score
Well, again...the drain I am speaking of is merely an overflow drain in a pan that the washer sits on only used in the event of a leak. So the chance of any wash water at all exiting through this is remote (as I also have a automatic shut-off valve and water sensor in the drain pan).
I will of course have the main drain of the washer plumbed properly according to our local code.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I knew what you meant. I have a second floor laundry and my washer sits in a pan with a drain. I guess for your purposes it might be OK to route the drain outside, but it won't be to code. What will you put over the pipe to keep critters out?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks