2" well casing to pump adapter for a pressure / suction pair; PVC? Low-Cost Options? Search terms to find choices?

Users who are viewing this thread

RTroy

Reaction score
So you get the context, briefly:

I've traveled about 2400 miles across the continent (driving) to visit my sister only to find her well pump went out some 6 or more weeks ago. I gotta hand it to her, she's no complainer or whiner - she didn't mention it! And while she doesn't have the money to do anything about it, she's been filling up gallon water jugs to get by while she saves money to buy a new pump; TROOPER!

So, OF COURSE I'm helping! ... I'm an engineer in another field, so I know a thing or two about engineering, but I switched to Earth Science, and so now I'm not doing so well financially myself, taking time off work to come visit, the expense of that, etc... So, I need the low-buck solution here, please, but I do care that it doesn't fail sooner than the funds to make it better can happen. ... If I HAVE to spend some serious bucks, I'd at least like to buy the right stuff!

The existing pump failed because a rodent reportedly got inside the electric motor and shorted it out, but then her well meaning but not very cluefull friend took it and tried to fix it, decided it wasn't fixable and THREW IT OUT! Adapters and all! (Talk about stupid! People, doesn't matter if it's a car, water heater or airplane; don't get rid of the old, failed part until you have the new solution in-hand! Word to the wise!)

The well is one of those intermediate depth ones that probably should have been done as a 4" or something, but it's got a 2" casing and the well driller said the water level in the area varies between 35' down and 75' down. So, there aren't that many pump choices without spending more than I've got - or, at least I didn't find much in my searches.

Not having the money to buy a higher-end unit that comes with all sorts of adapters - and at the time, silly me, I didn't even have the right education on the matter because I perhaps could have chosen better, but time is critical as I have to get back home VERY soon and I'm not going to leave her without water, so... I bought her this:

https://www.amazon.com/RainBro-Convertible-Ejector-Model-CCW100/dp/B088GPPPCK

Now, of course, I need something like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/195931282@N03/sets/72177720300085917/

Note how that one lets the suction pipe go straight through, so it's incomplete as it has to also seal against that through-pipe...

So far, all I've found is this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2956556053...9A/IconORAca0JNXeRgJyW4XNZYM|tkp:BFBM4s30uvhh

BUT, that one doesn't appear to be quite correct because it's designed to be bolted to a pump, I think...

I obviously don't know the right search terms.

I'm thinking there HAS to be a PVC version, right?

Your insights and assistance GREATLY appreciated!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never worked on wells hope someone has a tip sounds like you need everything buy it together or seperate whatever is cheapest as you said dont know the exact question ? and that might be the reason for lack of replys

Reach4

Reaction score
I have only read about these deep "single pipe" jet wells. I offer an added search term for this forum and elsewhere: leathers
index.php

Last edited:

RTroy

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff, and Reach4 for your replies.

By now I know that I need a "2 inch casing adapter", and that's about all I need. This unit would do it:

BUT it costs a bundle for what it is... It's only a little less than the whole pump, with electric motor, pressure regulation, gauge, etc, etc... Talk about over-priced! AND I can't find images from the other side to see what all might really be involved in installing it.

So far I haven't seen ANY PVC versions, but I honestly don't see why they wouldn't work, presuming the pump is off to the side somewhere.

Still looking!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Even though most casing adapters are made to bolt onto the pump, they usually have threaded holes where the pump can be attached by using pipe from the pump to the casing adapter. Like Reach says, you are also going to need a packer with leathers as this will be considered a deep well pump since the water is more than 25' deep.

RTroy

Reaction score

I am not saying that any of these would work for you. Just did some searching.

Thank you, Reach4. I had found the Amazon listing for the Sta-Rite, which is an incomplete listing: it doesn't give the part number! However, I'm pretty sure it's the J216-20, which is just an incomplete version of the J216-13A, which I ended up buying - for not a lot more. I'll give the specifics below AFTER I get it and KNOW what I actually got! (damn do I hope it works out!)

Even though most casing adapters are made to bolt onto the pump, they usually have threaded holes where the pump can be attached by using pipe from the pump to the casing adapter. Like Reach says, you are also going to need a packer with leathers as this will be considered a deep well pump since the water is more than 25' deep.
If the J216-20 cited above had threaded holes in BOTH of them, I'd have bought it! But no, it doesn't, apparently. -ugh!-

As for the "packer with leathers", lets remember that this was a formerly working installation (since early in 2007), so I'm fairly sure it has the "packer with leathers" in there already. ... OR, am I missing something? New ones? Where would they go?!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The packer would be hanging from some 1" pipe inside the 2" casing. So, if you have a packer it is broken off and stuck in the well.

It doesn't make any sense for only one hole in the casing adapter to be threaded? If it doesn't attach directly to the pump it needs pipe to both holes.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks