Search results

1. Chuyue

Range hood vent: rigid w/ elbows vs semi-rigid

I'm just a DIYer. I'd think semi-rigid flex would be much easier to install. Does it really make a whole lot difference in terms of pressure drop if rigid one is used considering only 5ft duct run? I'd go with flex having one size bigger if pressure drop is a concern but then two reducers will...
  2. Chuyue

Odd situation about HVAC permit

Apology for bring back this old post but I thought I'd provide an update to close the loop. I finally passed all inspections today, and my basement reno on county record is finished! I eventually disconnected the newly branched air duct and capped the two connection at the main supply trunk...
  3. Chuyue

My house was a standard colonial style built in 2016, and was very energy efficient back then. It is in a community with cookie cutter style. My neighbors on the left and right finished their basements two years ago. We have almost same floor area/plan, exact AC&furnace. They had no issues with...
  4. Chuyue

Ok, here is some update and my plan: Our county posted this in its website now after I pointed out that they did not have it on the website: "Beginning January 25, 2021 mechanical extensions to additions, finished basements or alterations to an existing system will require a mechanical permit...
  5. Chuyue

Slide-on coupling issue

Thanks all for the great discussion. I went to Depot and bought the one that you guys mentioned. The product description from HD says "for above ground only". I will contact the inspector to see if he'd be "happy" with it. Now I have a much bigger problem than this coupling issue. It's about my...
  6. Chuyue

Slide-on coupling issue

I get the part that metal shield keeps the joints rigid, what I don't get is that I can't just use the shield on the existing rubber coupling as the inspector A said..
  7. Chuyue

Heat Pump causing Erratic Water Usage/Billing ?

hard to tell without knowing the type of HP (air-source, water source etc), but it is very unlikely that it has anything to do with HP. You should check the water bill on actual water usage then start to make some sense out of it..
  8. Chuyue

Slide-on coupling issue

Thanks all for the reply. I actually bought one of these and only used the shield over the fernco. Seems that I have to muscle the old one out and use the new rubber. From engineering point of view, I don't see any difference between the two, but heck I will do what mr. inspector says to keep...
  9. Chuyue

Slide-on coupling issue

Greeting. I failed my first plumbing rough-in inspection because I used unshielded fernco. This is what Inspector A wrote "no above ground fernco-use a shear band". He told me that I could go to homedepot and buy an expensive version with the steel shield, and use the shield since the coupling...
  10. Chuyue

New Trane Split System Not Sufficiently Cooling

If I were you, I would focus more on the refrigerant side first and make sure the system is properly charge. You can't do anything with air side at this point anyway. If your old system was a 3-ton unit and you did not have any issue, then your existing duct system should be able to handle...
  11. Chuyue

Thanks for the replies. I'd choose cross a line item and move on. It's not like I don't want to get it right, I just don't believe there is a right point to begin with anyway. I know all these codes and California stuff have good intention but they live in their fantasy land sometimes. I can do...
  12. Chuyue

I'm finishing my basement. I started work last year and added a few vents to condition different zones of my basement last summer. I simply tapped them into the main trunk. My whole project was delayed and I'm now getting ready to put up drywalls. BUT I was told by my plumbing inspector...
  13. Chuyue

Basement wet bar plumbing plan

Excellent point about using street wye. Thank you so much Wayne!
  14. Chuyue

Hi guys, found this online, but was not sure if it fits my case because the graphic shows the vertical pipe serves a vent pipe, but my case the vertical section is waste pipe. I thought wye+1/8 bend would get go by because I will install an air admittance valve next to the sink p-trap so it will...
  15. Chuyue

Greeting! I need some advice on my basement wet bar plumbing. I'm working on the rough in now and will use 1 and 1/2 inch schedule 40 PVC as the web bar sink drain pipe. The sink is about 7ft away from my utility room where the 4 inch main drain pipe goes into ground sewage (see the red circle...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks