Search results

1. Stumped789

Stumped re water hammer issue

We are still hearing a light rattle when the shower or sink faucets upstairs are shut off quickly. To summarize, we have done the following: 1) replaced the regulator and set the pressure at 50 2) installed expansion tank 3) replaced sink faucets 4) replaced shower cartridge 5) visually...
  2. Stumped789

Hmm that's interesting that you said shower valves are slow closing. One of our plumbers also mentioned that. So it is not a likely place for a water hammer. My kids are not little. Actually the heavy handed one is 19 and they actually can't hear the rattle by the shower. I can only hear it...
  3. Stumped789

I can't do anything under 40 because my reverse osmosis system requires a minimum of 40.
  4. Stumped789

Update: We turned the pressure down to 50 and installed an expansion tank. The pipes are much quieter and a shower leak that I had (which I was waiting to repair) is now gone. Thank you for the advice to turn down the pressure. I'm still hearing a slight rattle in the attic when the kids turn...
  5. Stumped789

We will adjust it tonight. Does it matter where we dribble water from? We also have appointment for expansion tank to be installed in the morning. I will update. Thank you for all of the help.
  6. Stumped789

I'm not really sure why this is the second plumber who has wanted to keep the pressure at 70. We may turn it down ourselves.
  7. Stumped789

It is a thud/rattle type sound when the kids turn off the shower or sink faucets upstairs quickly. The toilet upstairs does not seem to cause any issue. The plumber set the pressure at 70 after the new PRV.
  8. Stumped789

I wanted to come back with an update and more questions. I had the water heater company come out to review the installation and talk about possibly adding an expansion tank. They checked the pressure at the water heater and this time it was high (over 100). So on the water heater company's...
  9. Stumped789

Your advice on pressure makes sense to me. There is probably another issue driving the water hammer, but if reducing the pressure could alleviate the issue and doesn't sacrifice performance, why not. We will try that before calling out another plumber. Thank you. Any thoughts on the hard...
  10. Stumped789

Sorry I misunderstood. Anyway, it would be one of the questions to ask of another plumber when he's here.
  11. Stumped789

Thank you so much for all the input! I really appreciate them. We had our plumber out 2 days ago. He re-checked the pressure at the water heater (last time he checked at the laundry). This time it was at 75 (it was 70 at the laundry). I asked him if we should turn down the pressure, and he...
  12. Stumped789

Thank you so much, I will try those things.
  13. Stumped789

Thank you. We left the water off for probably 15 minutes, until the dripping stopped from all the faucets. Could leaving it off longer really make a difference? We have a pressure regulator but it's old. The last time the plumber checked it was at 70 psi. Could psi fluctuate? Because I...
  14. Stumped789

We have a 1940's house with a 20 year old upstairs addition. We have never had water hammer before until recently. Work done recently which could correspond with the timing of water hammer are new water heater and new flooring which involved disconnecting and reconnecting appliances. Water...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks