Search results

1. garyl53

Should PRV be before iirrigation system and house? Or just house?

Hi, I have a failed PRV and I will be replacing it this weekend. I will also be adding some ball valvles to make this all easier if this happens again. I noticed that the supply to the irrigation system is on the house side (low pressure side) of the PRV. My last house had the irrigation supply...
  2. garyl53

Info on gas vs electric costs?

Hi, Where can I find some info and maybe a calculator to determine the relative annual costs to run a water heater. I have gas, normal venting but the next one has to be either power venting gas or maybe electric. I am trying to determine if a power venting gas will recoup the higher purchase...
  3. garyl53

Ventilation under structured floor?

Hi, Recently purchased new home with wood/steel structural basement floor with a 2ft crawlspace below. This is common in Colorado due to expansive soils. There is an 8 inch duct with a fan connected to a humidistat under the basement floor to remove excess moisture from the crawl space...
  4. garyl53

Water pressure spikes?

Hi, I installed a PRV and Expansion tank about 6 months ago and I have the pressure set in my home for 65 psi. I accidently left the pressure gauge connected to my water heater drain spigot (lowest point in house) after I did the job. I noticed that the nominal pressure is at the 65psi...
  5. garyl53

New Moentrol shower/tub valve leaking!

Hi, I installed a new Moen Moentrol valve in a shower/tub. When the valve is pushed in to turn it off it still drips slightly. While it is pushed in (off position) and I rotate the handle it drips less in the hot positions but drips more in the cold positions. You can actually hear the valve...
  6. garyl53

Toto G-Max valve blew - pressure too high!

Well I had a G-Max valve completely blow off and flood a basement bathroom on a 8 year old Toto toilet on Christmas Eve. Damage was not to bad due to my son being close by when it happened so he shut off the water quickly. I recently discovered that the water pressure in my house is a nominal...
  7. garyl53

Two HW heaters or higher temp w/mixer?

Hi, We may need to increase our HW capacity (50 gal now). Is it more energy efficient to add a second HW heater or to increase the temperature and add a mixer valve to the current heater? Any advice appreciated! Gary
  8. garyl53

Finished Basement Floor Drain Overflow!

Hi, I finished our basement about 7 years ago. There is a utility room that has the FHA gas furnace, a 50 gal gas hot water heater and it has a floor drain. The AC cooler unit condensation drain is piped to drain into the floor drain. Several times over the past few years the main sewer line...
  9. garyl53

What maintenance is needed on FHA gas heater?

Hi, I have a 10 year old FHA gas heater. I change the filter on a regular basis but I was wonderring if there is some annual maintenance I should be doing. Do I need to lube the blower fan? Do I need to clean out anywhere? Thanks in advance for any help. Gary
  10. garyl53

Fresh air instead of AC in the mornings,how??

Hi All, I have a general HVAC question. I live in Colorado and even on the hottest days (90+) the evenings are usually cool (<70 degrees) but not until about 2 or 3 am. I have a setback thermostat that is set to raise the temperature to 76 deg. after 12 midnite until 4pm the next day when we...
  11. garyl53

Holy High Pressure!

Hi, I noticed while investigating a HVAC problem that my Water Heater T&P (temp & pressure) valve was leaving some small amount of water in a bucket I had placed under it after we had finished our basement. I thought maybe that the valve wasn't seating properly or was bad. I searched this...
  12. garyl53

Proper termination of unused circuit

Hi, I am removing a whole house fan since we have air conditioning and never use the fan. The opening and louvres, although insulated, are letting too much heat and cold transfer and it looks ugly in our main hallway. What is the proper method to disable the current electrical feed to the...
  13. garyl53

Inline heat/AC duct fans

Hi, I have an upstairs bedroom that I want to improve the AC flow. Do inline duct fans help? Is it better to put a fan on the return line or the vent into the room? Thanks, Gary
  14. garyl53

Upstairs heat/ac vent - no air

Hi, I have a heat/AC vent in an upstairs bedroom that has little or no air movement. It is, of course, in a south facing BR that gets uncomfortably hot in the summer (even with the AC on). In general all of the other upstairs BRs are comfortable. Are there suggested ways to investigate the...
  15. garyl53

Tool for bath tub drain removal

Hi, I attempted to replace a bathtub drain using the usual tool that grips the cross members inside the drain only to have them immediately break off. Is there anyother tool available that can grip the inside of a drain so I can replace it. No access to underside of tub unfortunately...
  16. garyl53

Frost-proof hose bibb - threaded?

Hi, Is there any way to tell if a frost proof bibb is threaded of soldered by looking at the exposed outside piece. There is a model number but it is available in both. Is it safe to try to turn it or will it just twist the 1/2 in. pipe? Have a leak, no access to inside connection and need...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks