Frost-proof hose bibb - threaded?

Users who are viewing this thread

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there any way to tell if a frost proof bibb is threaded of soldered by looking at the exposed outside piece. There is a model number but it is available in both. Is it safe to try to turn it or will it just twist the 1/2 in. pipe? Have a leak, no access to inside connection and need suggestions.
Thanks,
Gary
attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
If your leak is a drip or small stream coming through a bad washer, I would think the washer and maybe even the seat (if the seat is replaceable) can be replaced from the outside.

You might be able to make an educated guess as to soldered or threaded by looking at as much of the rest of the plumbing as you might be able to see, but even if it is threaded, I would never attempt to turn it without first being able to also put a wrench on the fitting or pipe to which it is attached. To do so could easily loosen (or even break) yet another fitting or pipe even further on up the line.

TedL

Reaction score
Many current models, like the quarter turn ones at HD, allow either means of connecting with the same unit.

On the other hand, if you have copper pipe, I believe the vast majority of plumbers will use a sweat joint over a threaded. Cheaper, faster, more reliable.

How far away from the wall can you first get a glimpse of the supply line?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

Even when you can see the connection, around here, the "new construction" plumbers solder them on. Probably because they don't know any other way.

Racer814

Reaction score
most times that a female adapter is used it's on pex or cpvc....either way, you ain't gonna unscrew it from the front.

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. It doesn't leak until you turn it on and then it is leaking from the front and back (into a basement finished wall). So I must have had a freeze and split the in-wall portion of the bibb. I guess I will have no choice but to cut a hole in the finished basement in order to gain access to see what is going on.
Thanks again,
Gary

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
They can also freeze and split if they have a slow leak and it gets cold enough for it to freeze the leak shut.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Come on HJ, we "new construction" (albeit commercial/industrial for me) do know the other way of installing a hosebib. Dont you solder a turnie thingie onto the copper then wrap that white stuff on the corkscrew of the hosebib then turn it clockwise til its tight? BTW, I finally learned how to use that bubble thingie and that real thin metal that has all the lines and numbers on it.

Actually, yes its probably soldered. My own personal opinion is that if the hosebib ever needs to be changed you're going to have to get to the hosebib/copper connection to put a backup wrench on the female adapter anyway so why not solder it? I'd rather have solder connections in my own walls than threaded if at all possible, much like many tub/shower valves that can be installed either way.

Cheers!

ps: Hope you took that in the humorous manner in which it was intended

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks