Search results

1. Lightningwill

acceptable pressure loss in black pipe

Was the gauge continuously reading over these extended time periods? Or was the gauge valved off except when readings were taken? I ask this because the gauges themselves can be leaky. Not necessarily a problem if you're reading it after 15 minutes, but can be over longer time periods.
  2. Lightningwill

Terry Love- cancer update

I'm a DIYer first and foremost, so I come here on and off. Honestly was just shocked to read this thread 9 months late. Nonetheless, condolences to all those close to Terry as he obviously created a special place here. I'll share a brief anecdote that might provide a smile and a chuckle. I was...
  3. Lightningwill

NSPC (NJ) Horizontal vent under basement slab legal?

I could be wrong, but I think that shower should be vented separately from the main line so that a slug of water from the toilet can't siphon it when that water is between the shower arm and the vent takeoff. NSPC does not describe this situation precisely. It shows a lav wet venting a bathroom...
  4. Lightningwill

DWV Rough in Question

I've read it more than a few times as well. Given that the title of the section the quote is from is: “Air Admittance Valves are Allowed!!” (emphasis and quantity of exclamation marks theirs), I read it as the statute dictates, given ICC-ES approval, the plumbing subcode official must approve...
  5. Lightningwill

DWV Rough in Question

See the fall 2012 edition of the NJ Construction Code Communicator, page 7: “Therefore, AAVs that comply with the standards listed in the ICC ES report are permitted to be used in one- or two-family dwellings and Class III structures without a design professional’s seal.”
  6. Lightningwill

Uponor PEX with non-ProPEX fittings

Do. Not. Do. This. A crimp fitting will fit inside PEX-a before expansion, but will not appropriately seal with an expansion ring.
  7. Lightningwill

Jog in Washing Machine Stand Pipe

I may need to move a washing machine standpipe over approximately one stud bay. My question: is anyone aware of prohibitions on a stand pipe having a section jogged at 45 degrees? I’m under NSPC and I cannot find anything explicit about this. Based on my reading of the code, I tend to think it...
  8. Lightningwill

Proper venting of washing machine and sink drain in basement

I've read previously here that AAVs should not be used for venting washing machines because washing machines create positive pressure due to the pumped discharge and sudsing also creates positive pressure. Obviously, an AAV will not relieve such pressure.
  9. Lightningwill

Venting Advice

I think that shower trap arm needs its own means of venting because of the placement of the toilet. I had a similar proposed layout (with a toilet upstream of the wye where a shower trap arm came in) and was told such...
  10. Lightningwill

Venting Foiled by Framing! A New Approach...

> Cant you put a 3x2 y on near the closet bend and hit a wall with your toilet vent? Yes, that's my other option (was actually figuring it would be a 3x3x1.5, but same principle). But since it seems like best practice is for the double lav to be a 2" anyway, and since it's in spec for a wet...
  11. Lightningwill

> They let you run 2 lavs on 1 1/2 inch pipe? drilling Truss joists arent a problem follow spec. sheet It's not a truss joist/I-joist. It's an LVL header which has more restrictive drilling prohibitions. For my previous venting configuration, the size of the hole is not actually the problem. I...
  12. Lightningwill

I was pretty sure I had a plan, but some tricky framing got in the way. Basically, for my master bath DWV, I can't land everything in the 9 1/2" joists in the way previously planned due to constraints on where I can drill some of the engineered lumber. So I did some more brainstorming today and...
  13. Lightningwill

Bathroom Vent Design Check

Hey folks. Getting ready to actually plumb this and want to make sure I proceed in the correct fashion. Thanks for all the help thus far. If you have thoughts on this final question, I would very much appreciate it!
  14. Lightningwill

Water pipe thread sealant

I've come to like Gasoila Soft-Set Thread Sealant with PTFE. From their website: Use on brass, copper, stainless steel, aluminum, black pipe, tin, galvanized, ABS, CPVC, PVC plastics, nylon, polyethylene, polypropylene, polybutylene and more. Excellent resistance to gasoline (up to 20% alcohol...
  15. Lightningwill

It was mentioned that the toilet did not need its own vent (highlighted in green below). I thought that might be the case, but I want to make sure I understand the aspect of the code that allows for it. Here's the relevant portion (12.8.4) of the 2015 NSPC: “For water closets and other fixtures...
  16. Lightningwill

I was just rechecking the code requirements on this and I believe that the wye after the lavatory does not need to be rolled to 45 degrees given it's a wet vent. Is my understanding correct?
  17. Lightningwill

Thanks! Yes, I thought that the wet vent can handle it all, strictly speaking. That being said, would anyone be inclined to add the dry vent as well for belt and suspenders?
  18. Lightningwill

Thank you! I just want to make sure I understand the principles behind the requirement. Is the concern that the toilet will siphon the shower trap? If so, why doesn't the dry vent provide an easier path for air to follow the moving water from the toilet? Or, is it also a question of positive...
  19. Lightningwill

Hey Folks, I am plumbing an addition to my house and want to check in on a couple of venting items for the master bath. Please see the attached diagram. Questions below. Thank you very much in advance. Code wise, I am under the 2015 NSPC (NJ). 1. As drawn, is there sufficient venting for the...
  20. Lightningwill

Replacing main water line cutoff valve

If you're planning on burying this, that's a bad idea. If you're planning on leaving this exposed to the elements, that's a bad idea. What is your plan for protecting the new stuff you just installed?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks