Search results

1. LikeABigFriedEgg

Can't get furnace fan to turn off

I have an intermittent problem that my furnace fan sometimes runs when it shouldn't, and the only way to stop it is to shut off power to the whole system, thermostat and everything. It's happened a few times over maybe a couple years, I think. Last time was a couple days ago when it was stuck...
  2. LikeABigFriedEgg

Repair kit for Brasscraft multi-turn right-angle valve?

I would like to repair a Brasscraft 1/2" FIP x 3.8" compression multi-turn right-angle valve. The bib washer has dried and cracked and fallen apart. Can I get an overhaul kit for this valve? If I could get two or three kits for the price of a whole valve, I would rather do that than get a new...
  3. LikeABigFriedEgg

Removing a plastic plug stuck in a 2" cast-iron cleanout tee

Hey everybody, I want to snake a drain line, through a cast-iron cleanout tee just above my basement floor. The inlet to the tee is a vertical 1-1/2" copper line about 8 feet high. The cleanout has a 2" black plastic plug. I tried to remove the plug by turning it with an adjustable wrench...
  4. LikeABigFriedEgg

Increasing the slope of a drain from level copper to sloped PVC

Hey everybody, I am replacing a horizontal six foot section of 1-1/2" copper drain pipe in a wall with 1-1/2" DWV PVC. The holes through the 2x4 studs are 2" and round. The section of copper I'm replacing was almost level (1/4" in 5 feet), which led to corrosion, which is why I am replacing...
  5. LikeABigFriedEgg

6-50 extension cord with 8 ga. cable and 6 ga. plug

Hi all. I see people selling extension cords for welders and (I guess) dryers, those cords being made of 8 ga. cable, but the plug and receptacle being 6-50. How is this considered good practice? I thought the idea of the 6-50 plug and receptacle was that if the plug fits, then it can handle...
  6. LikeABigFriedEgg

Correct fuses for kitchen range and 50A circuit

Hey everybody. I was inspecting the fuses for my kitchen range, and I'm not sure about whether they are the correct fuses. One is marked "BUSS NON 60 amp ONE-TIME FUSE". The other is "BUSS 35 AMP no. 25035 ONE-TIME FUSE" I expected them to both be 50 amps, but I don't really know what to...
  7. LikeABigFriedEgg

Repacking a live valve

The quick question is: can I repack a globe valve without shutting off the valve upstream? Details follow: Hi. The city's contractor is coming in soon to replace the water meter, and my main indoor shutoff valve is not in great shape. It leaks through the packing, and so it drips a little...
  8. LikeABigFriedEgg

Replacing a copper drain pipe inside a wall

My kitchen-sink drain pipe is leaking in my 50-year-old house. The pipe drains a two-bowl sink, garbage disposal, and dishwasher. It is 1.5" nominal copper and runs for about seven feet inside a wall. It seems that it passes through 2" holes through the studs in the wall. I'm not inclined to...
  9. LikeABigFriedEgg

Correct pressure setting for gas valve for old Lennox furnace

I replaced the gas valve in my furnace a few years ago, and I don't know whether the gas pressure and air feed are adjusted to suit the furnace. It is a Lennox G8Q2-110M, manufactured April 1967. Old, I know, but I need to make it last a while longer. The valve is a Robertshaw 720-402...
  10. LikeABigFriedEgg

Changing the main shutoff on a pressurized water line

Hey everybody ... this looks like a nice forum. My main water shutoff is a 1" NPT right-angle globe valve, about 50 years old. Water leaks past it, and it leaks from the stem, and the packing nut is already tightened down about as tight as can be. I want to replace it with a good new ball...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks