Changing the main shutoff on a pressurized water line

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey everybody ... this looks like a nice forum.

My main water shutoff is a 1" NPT right-angle globe valve, about 50 years old. Water leaks past it, and it leaks from the stem, and the packing nut is already tightened down about as tight as can be. I want to replace it with a good new ball valve. I'm in the North, and the meter is in an unfinished room in the basement. The main comes up through the floor as 3/4" copper with a 1" female adapter, and the valve is screwed into that adapter.

I'm thinking it should be pretty easy to screw out the old valve and screw in the new one without spilling much water---without shutting off the water at the city's valve. I don't think the water is going to gush out like a geyser---more like an unthrottled garden hose. I would leave the new valve open when screwing it in.

Does anyone change a valve that way? Or is it a bad idea?

Reach4

Reaction score
Take pictures for Youtube.

Just kidding. Get the water shut off at the curb first. Some people do it themselves, although you should involve the city.

Reaction score
Take pictures for Youtube.

Just kidding. Get the water shut off at the curb first. Some people do it themselves, although you should involve the city.

Ha ha, well, yes, I probably would make a video for youtube.

Yes, there is a city seal on the line, so I think I would need to call them, or they might fine me and put a black mark next to my name.

I'm thinking that the city's valve hasn't been operated in fifty years, so I'm a little worried that something might break. Do you think that that is a reasonable fear? And I expect they would charge something.

The city has a contractor replacing all the water meters over the next year or so, so I thought it would be a good time to fix the valve. But I don't think they will be shutting the city's valves in most cases.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I had an associate once who had to take the cap off of a 2" riser and install a gate valve on it. The pipe was under a stairway platform and the valve had to taken apart to turn it onto the riser. It was in middle of winter, the building was not heated, and curb stop was inaccessible. "Drowned rat" would be an understatement. If you call the city and the valve breaks on them, there is no charge. IF YOU break the valve, they can charge you whatever they want to to replace it.

Reaction score
How about a picture of what you're working with.

Photo attached. BTW, thanks for the egg icon, ha ha. Did you do that, or is it due to some insidious AI?

Attachments

• IMG_2765.JPG
    IMG_2765.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Reaction score
I had an associate once who had to take the cap off of a 2" riser and install a gate valve on it. The pipe was under a stairway platform and the valve had to taken apart to turn it onto the riser. It was in middle of winter, the building was not heated, and curb stop was inaccessible. "Drowned rat" would be an understatement. If you call the city and the valve breaks on them, there is no charge. IF YOU break the valve, they can charge you whatever they want to to replace it.

I would expect to close the new valve within say 30 seconds of removing the old one.

I'll have to look into who would have to pay for the broken valve. I thought in my city the homeowner has to pay when the city breaks it ... could be wrong.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wonder if you could rent one of those pipe freezing devices? They are intended to make an ice plug in a live pipe to permit the plumber to work on such a line without shutting down the water.

You really don't want to try to fit a new valve on a water line spewing out water at city pressure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
YOu are probably responsible for whatever is past their valve, but typically, not that shutoff itself. NOte, it may not completely shutoff the water, but the flow would be a LOT smaller than if it was open.

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm thinking that the city's valve hasn't been operated in fifty years, so I'm a little worried that something might break. Do you think that that is a reasonable fear? And I expect they would charge something.
Reasonable, and it is a really good reason to have them do it.

I would have a talk with the water department, and take your photo with you.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
First that globe valve has a flare connection on the bottom !
Second that valve is before the METER and therefore belongs to the water provider !
It is not yours to replace you have to ask the city or water provider to replace
you will get charged for messing with that valve

Reaction score
I don't expect I'll attempt the live valve replacement.

I found a few related videos for your entertainment:

compression fitting on 3/4" copper:
sharkbite on 3/4" copper, partly-closed line, indoors:
pipe-freeze system:
2-inch threaded ball valve:
3-inch flanged gate valve:
Jet Swet or similar in copper, partly shutoff, indoors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAUiCmBg_OU
Jet Swet, 1 1/2" soldered ball valve, partial shutoff, outdoors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp8VpMGG1kA

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Years ago I had my supply line replaced by a plumbing company. A couple of years after that, I was working in the basement and bumped the shutoff valve with my stepladder. That professionally installed valve popped off. It was a weekend and the only worker that could shut the water off at the meter was on another call on the other side of town. I tried every tool I had to no avail so the water continued to pour into my basement until the city man arrived. I had a hell of a flood in my basement to say the least. It took a couple of days to get a curb key made. I have only used it a couple of times since, but it sure saved the day on those times. I only use this in an emergency.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks