Search results

1. genmaster

Submersible Well Pump, Any thoughts on this?

I've installed three well pumps in the 32 years I've owned my place. Replaced the original galvanized pressure tank with the bladder type in 1996, so I'd say you've gotten your money's worth out of your well pump. Kind of like old refrigerators that seem to last forever vs the newer ones that...
  2. genmaster

Electrical Box recommendation

I'm partial to Square D QO panels myself. The layout of their ground and neutral busses often helps to eliminate or minimize the need to add a trough for splicing above the new panel when updating or upgrading a service. Their breakers also have an orange trip indicator which is helpful for...
  3. genmaster

Generator interlock kit

I've installed interlock brackets from interlockkit.com. The interlocks are specific to the brand of breaker panel you have, so you'll need to know that. They attach to your breaker panel cover and provide interlocking between your main breaker and the 2/4 position in the panel so that only...
  4. genmaster

240 volt electric heater low power

I recently installed a 240 volt 7500 watt forced air electric heater in my garage. It seems to take longer to heat than I would expect, so I clamped it with my amprobe and it's pulling 13.5 amps on each leg. I would expect it to pull 31.25 amps at 240 volts. I called the manufacturer, but...
  5. genmaster

Heat Pump vs Central Air Unit

Hi All, I am preparing to replace my 25 yr old oil fired forced hot air furnace and central air coil and condenser. With higher oil prices these days, I'm considering installing a heat pump instead of the condensing unit. I live in the northeast US and am wondering if it will pay to go with the...
  6. genmaster

Main Klixon breaker on 3/4 hp 3-wire submers. pump keeps tripping

I'm assuming this is a submersible well pump (240 vac, 2 wire with a ground). When does the fuse/breaker trip? Is it tripping when the pump starts, while it's running, or is it blowing while sitting idle. Before you pull the pump and replace wire, have you done resistance checks on the wire...
  7. genmaster

Home Alarm system transformer question

It seems a little odd to install the main panel in the attic, especially because the printed circuit boards and their electronics generally don't like heat. Are we talking about an adapter type transformer plugged into an outlet? If so, is it plugged in completely, i.e. the connection is...
  8. genmaster

General aesthetic guidelines for running exposed EMT

NEC requires maximum of 360 degrees worth of bends between pulling points. These points can be boxes, enclosures, or condulets. Support your conduit (EMT) every 30" and within 12" of boxes, enclosures, etc. Plumb and level. NEC calls it "Good workmanship". If you surface mount boxes, you...
  9. genmaster

Another Hot Tub Wiring Question: Ground Wire Size/Type

National Electrical Code (NEC) article 680-IV refers to spa and hot tub installations, and references bonding requirements for spas and hot tubs to article 250, Grounding and Bonding. Article 250.122 specifies sizing of equipment grounding conductors and references table 250.122. The size is...
  10. genmaster

Connecting LP gas to generator with CSST

Hi all, I'm installing a 20kw generator ( residential) and connecting to LP gas using 3/4" CSST. My question is, do I still need to use the 14" piece of flex line supplied with the generator or can I connect directly with the csst? There will be an isolation valve between the gen and the gas...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks