Search results

1. Leo_S

Low Pressure After Deep Freeze in New Construction with No Sign of Leaking

l thought I would follow up with a message about how dumb it turns out that I am. I spent most of the day doing various tests. I back flushed the main line back to the house. Used compressed air to blow back any debris. Opened up my prv to find nothing unusual. I was drinking a cup of tea...
  2. Leo_S

I haven't figured out an easy way to bypass yet, but I'm gonna give that a try if I don't find debris in the line.
  3. Leo_S

I saw your recommendation about the order of the shut off and PRV. Switching now would be tough. My automated shut off is simple to over-ride. It's just a physical shut off with an automated attachment that has a clutch to disengage/over-ride. I wanted that shut off before my whole house filter...
  4. Leo_S

I pulled the PRV and there was nothing in its screen. I attached a pressure gauge to the spigot that's on the same branch as the toilet. It was reading 60 PSI. After flushing, it dropped to 20 PSI where it stayed for about 2 minutes and then started to rise, returning to 60 PSI after another 30...
  5. Leo_S

I just had another thought. There was a stand pipe on the water line between the house and the ADU that I kept through construction almost until the end, maybe early fall. It was old and had a corroded galvanized pipe. I was able to unthread it from the copper fitting that was T'd off the line...
  6. Leo_S

I'll do the pressure gauge test tomorrow and report what I find. Debris in the line does make sense, but I can't figure how it relates to the freezing weather. I've had the plumbing turned on for probably nine months. In the front house right before the ADU supply leaves the basement, there's a...
  7. Leo_S

I have valves on either side of the PRV as well as unions, so I think I could figure out a way to bypass by buying a few parts. I'll take a look tomorrow to see if I can do that. Thanks for the idea.
  8. Leo_S

I did most of the construction on a new Detached Accessory Dwelling Unit that passed final inspection about 8 weeks ago. I hired a professional plumber to do my ground work under the slab on grade, and I did all of the plumbing above ground. The new DADU's water line uses an existing 3/4" copper...
  9. Leo_S

What causes 3 separate leaks to occur at the same time?

Well, I guess I'll continue to monitor my pressure gauge to see if there are any changes. I really do appreciate all of your insight.
  10. Leo_S

Reach4, I just realized I don't have a PRV on my DHW or anywhere on my domestic system, just on the hydronic side. I'm assuming that's a bad thing.
  11. Leo_S

Just wanted to add, that I don't have a recirc pump on my DHW.
  12. Leo_S

Expansion tank location with a new tankless water heater

Just wanted to add that, I don't have a recirc pump on the DHW.
  13. Leo_S

I've had the pressure gauge connected to a hose bib since yesterday evening. It's registering about 72 psi with a max at 80 psi after several long showers and a bath. Is there any reason to put the gauge in a different place such as on my hot water line? Does my combi boiler have some kind of...
  14. Leo_S

Forgot to include that detail. Pants went on right before heading out to the street to shut off the water at the meter . . . .
  15. Leo_S

Thanks, Reach4. That does make sense about the expansion tank, especially with me just getting out of the shower at the time of failure. The Laars Mascot HT330 I have comes with an integrated expansion tank rated at handling 26 gallons of system water. That is, if the expansion hasn't failed . ...
  16. Leo_S

Is there somewhere I could place a pressure gauge to get a reading of the city's pressure? Or maybe a neighbor's spigot who doesn't have a pressure regulator? Is it reasonable to ask the city to come out and test my meter?
  17. Leo_S

I actually have two pressure regulators. The one that I mentioned right after the WH filter and a 12-15 psi regulator that feeds the hydronic system. I seem to remember my water pressure being higher than 80 psi when I did this all years ago, and so I bought the regulator for that reason. I...
  18. Leo_S

I'll still get the pressure gauge, but shouldn't the Watts pressure regulator that I have keep things in line? It's max 300 psi and the setting range is 25-75 psi. The pressure regulator does come after the whole house filter, so that wouldn't have prevented a spike affecting the filter. Do...
  19. Leo_S

Great idea. I'll do that today. Thanks.
  20. Leo_S

OK, I have a mystery that I need expert help solving. I'm going to tell you the whole story as it happened since there are probably clues in the story that I would not notice. Before we start, I'll tell you that I'm one of those DIY types, not a plumber. In remodeling my Seattle house, I put in...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks