Search results

1. semipro

Lightning damage to pump and casing?

2.5 years on since we installed the new pump/motor and all is well. I thought I'd share a few photos for grins. 1. Downhole camera borehole view 2. downhole camera casing view 3. My son while we're testing the flow 4. The downpipe clamp 5. Winch mounted to the tractor and tripod
  2. semipro

Grundfos MQ3-35 booster pump short cycling

I thought I'd report back that the repaired pump is still going strong with no further issues.
  3. semipro

Grundfos MQ3-35 leaking

Any chance it got cold enough in your crawl space to result in freeze damage to the pump?
  4. semipro

Grundfos MQ3-35 booster pump short cycling

Our MQ3-35 that has operated reliably for several years recently started short cycling, resulting in a very distinctive pressure fluctuation at the use points. It was most notable in the shower. I installed a pressure gauge on the outlet side of the MQ and noted that the unit shut off every...
  5. semipro

Grundfos MQ3-35 leaking

Point taken. I'm not trying to be argumentative and I qualified my experience with these as extremely limited; just providing my observations. That said: - the other pumps in the photo there appear to be the Goulds unit recommended above? - the fact that pump "supply" houses don't fix these...
  6. semipro

Grundfos MQ3-35 leaking

My experience is limited to my own MQ3-35 only. I would take a shot with the seal repair. The unit seems designed to be very serviceable. A booster pump has a rough life and repairs should be expected. $70 is not a lot when you consider the cost of alternatives and their repairs, The seal...
  7. semipro

Parts for Grundfos MQ 3-35

The MQ is being used as a 2nd stage booster in a two pressure level system that includes an open-loop ground (well) source heat pump. The HP operates a low pressure as determined by deep submersible pump and domestic water is supplied at a higher pressure by the MQ. I plan to provide more info...
  8. semipro

Parts for Grundfos MQ 3-35

Does anyone know of a good domestic source for parts for this thing? The Grundfos part number is 96526653. More: My Grundfos MQ 3-35 booster pump has started to act up. Its short short cycling, staying on only 10 sec. regardless of water demand. It then restarts after about 20 sec. I've...
  9. semipro

I knew going in that Vaseline, being petroleum-based, might swell the o-ring. I actually have silicone grease on hand for plumbing. Given that the o-ring was old and stiff I figured a little swelling could only help it seal. Had I know the right sized o-ring going in I would have bought one...
  10. semipro

I thought I'd report back that my son and I were able to replace the pump/motor. I thought I'd shared some notes/observations. We pulled the pipe/motor/pump using a 24 ft. tall homemade tripod constructed of soccer goal parts and steel pipe. A Warn winch mounted to the back of our tractor...
  11. semipro

I'm finally getting around to replacing the pump/motor this week. The Grundfos installation instructions recommend additional check valves be installed. From what I've read here this can cause water hammer problems. Assuming I do not install any check valves in the drop pipe, at the surface...
  12. semipro

Great point. That leaves me inclined to build in a small "leak" at the top of the shroud to allow any entrapped air to escape.
  13. semipro

I've got a 4" motor/pump going in an 8" bore so installation of a cooling shroud is in the plans now. Its interesting too that it extends the effective water intake depth down a few feet.
  14. semipro

Hmm. I went with a Franklin motor and Grundfos pump largely based on the advice on this forum. Did I misinterpret what has been shared here?
  15. semipro

Would the fact that I'm planning on using a Franklin "super stainless" 4" motor (224 300 9203) negate most of the cooling concerns associated with lowering the motor/pump? From the Franklin literature: "Flow inducer sleeve not required in water up to 86 °F (30 °C) for motors through 2 hp"
  16. semipro

What is the disadvantage of setting the pump deeper if you have a deep enough well? Other than added piping, wiring, and friction head that is? I could also imagine that setting it too low may result in less motor cooling maybe?
  17. semipro

I bought a small helmet cam and ran it down the well along with a small bright flashlight and got some great video. I was able get below the casing at 42 ft. to make sure that the casing wasn't leaking. A local driller with a sonic depth sounder measured the depth at 275' which is 75 more...
  18. semipro

Thanks. I'm aware that insurance companies cover lightning damages to wells and I've started the claim process. My bigger concern though is whether the lightning caused the casing leak, and whether insurance will cover it.
  19. semipro

Thanks. We've had a lot of lightning and many heavy storms over the years but have never seen the well water quality impacted. There seems to a precedent for this sort of casing damage being caused by lightning. http://haagcertifiedinspector.com/hot-topic-0215/...
  20. semipro

After a recent thunderstorm with some nearby lightning strikes we noticed we had well problems. At first some of the symptoms seem unrelated but now I'm wondering and could use some input. Our pump (2 HP) will now only run for about 15 secs and then it trips the thermal breaker in the control...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks