Search results

1. SH140

Shower tile sealer

Just finished the walk-in shower tiling. It has 2"x2" rough-finish porcelain tile on floor, 12"x12" on walls. 2 days I sealed it with "Dupont ?" product. Yesterday after installing and testing the valve & shower head, I noticed that the water beaded-up on the walls, (almost like the walls were...
  2. SH140

No grout gap

After thinset dried on 2x2 porcelain floor tile, I noticed 3 tiles had little to no gap for grout. Does anyone know of any inexpensive tools (this will probably be a one time use for this tool) that will work for widening the gap. Something I can use with my drill would be best as the gaps in...
  3. SH140

Building-up an existing shower curb

I recently installed a pre-formed shower pan and curb from Laticrete. It's made of some sort of dense foam. The whole thing is coated with HydroBan. After installation, I see that I would prefer that it be higher than 1 1/2" on the inside. Before I tile that area, is there a method to raise...
  4. SH140

Plywood thickness under tile

After reading a bunch of posts on this subject, 1 1/4" thickness seems to be the minimum thickness recommended, (usually 3/4" plus 1/2"). There is already 5/8" plywood underlayment, can I add another 5/8" sheet and have enough strength for tile? I also had about 1/4" to 1/3" out of flat...
  5. SH140

Water pressure vs. volume

How does pipe size affect pressure & volume? If you have 3/4" copper piping, with a section of 1/2" somewhere in the line, what effect will that have? (compared to a 100% 3/4" line)? If you're remodeling and can't completely replace all the 1/2" piping in a circuit with 3/4", is it worth the...
  6. SH140

Tub/shower pics

After dozens of questions to this group, I finally got this project to the point where I can post some pictures. Still not fully completed, but getting there.
  7. SH140

Delta R10000-UNWS Valve

I've installed this Delta valve in shower/tub. It comes with a square plastic piece called a plasterguard (#RP46075) that snaps into place. I assume it's purpose is to allow proper placement (depth) of valve in relation to the finished wall. My question is whether this piece stays on the...
  8. SH140

Preparing durock for spray- on texture

The durock has been installed (rough side out) in shower to the ceiling with the original intention of tiling up to the ceiling. As an afterthought, I may not go up that far. My question is how to prepare the durock ABOVE the tile line before I spray texture throughout the walls & ceiling...
  9. SH140

Murphy's Law of Soldering

After sweating new shower plumbing, (all new pipe & fittings), during leak test I discovered one joint with a very small leak. Somehow I missed it when soldering the rest of the joints. I turned off the water, drained the system, and soldered the connection. It doesn't leak now, but because the...
  10. SH140

Bathtub plumbing

Getting ready to relocate tub drain plumbing and have a couple concerns. I bought a drain assembly that is made of brass (which I like, it seems like it is sturdy and will stand the test of time, as there will not be access after the tub is installed). But the pipes aren't long enough for my tub...
  11. SH140

Building a P-trap

Getting ready to install plumbing for new tub install, and wanted to know ahead of time if there are any limitations when installing the p-trap. I know that the standard trap is a fairly tight radius. If need be, could a trap be made with two 90o elbows with a straight connecting pipe at the...
  12. SH140

P-trap operational limits ??

Getting ready to install plumbing for new tub install, and wanted to know ahead of time if there are any limitations when installing the p-trap. I know that the standard trap is a fairly tight radius. If need be, could a trap be made with two 90o elbows with a straight connecting pipe at the...
  13. SH140

How much "out-of-square" is OK?

Tear-out is complete, and I am checking for square and level. Everything looks pretty good except one corner (wall to wall) is about 1/8" out of square. (checked with a 16" x 24" carpenter's square). How perfect does it have to be before installing tub? Also, are there any tricks to use when...
  14. SH140

Epoxy floats

A while back, I purchased an epoxy float made of green hard (rubber?). Since then I've read someone's post that a similiar float left little pieces of this material in the grout and had to be picked out. Is this common with this (green) material, or will this happen with all epoxy floats...
  15. SH140

Thinset expiration dates

I've seen posts saying not to use thinsets that are more than a year old (date on container). Why is this, and what would happen if you did use older material? I recently purchased 4 bags of Laticrete (3 of 255, & 1 of 272) and couldn't find the date until I got home. The date marked on bags is...
  16. SH140

Procedure to bullnose porcelain tile

I'm trying to decide whether to buy tiles already bullnosed, or to cut and bullnose them myself out of 12 x 12's, cutting down to 3 x 12's. It would obviously be cheaper to do it myself, but not sure of quality of finished product. The tile is thru-body color. It made by Emser, and about $6 s.f...
  17. SH140

Laticrete thinsets

I have a few questions about thinsets and mortars before I gather supplies for my bath remodel. I already have some Laticrete products (HydroBan) and was going to use their thinsets if possible. I've found that I can get the 317 and 3701 thinsets locally. With more phone calls I might be able to...
  18. SH140

In-floor heat under vinyl flooring?

Can in-floor heat mats (low voltage) be safely used under vinyl or lino sheeting. If so, what would be the procedure after mat install to get a smooth surface for flooring? Some sort of self-leveling compound? Directly over the heat mat? :confused:
  19. SH140

Hera Tile & Stone in San Jose, Ca.

Has anyone done business with this company? They are a wholesale/retail tile store with very good prices, but before I drive an hour to go there, I would like to know if it's worth it. Has anyone heard anything?
  20. SH140

Bathtub insulation?

In an earlier post I was asking advice on what brand/model of tub was reccommended. I think I'm going with an acrylic tub from American Standard. (I liked the americast, but thought the 160 lbs would be an issue going upstairs into an alcove). It's been over 20 years since I installed a tub and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks