Search results

1. JCH

Installing new boxes/wiring in plaster ceiling--tips?

Wanting to add 3-way switches and new ceiling light locations to our plaster and lath front hall. Unfinished basement so getting power to new switch locations should be fairly easy. Question is how to get wiring to new ceiling box locations? Floor above is finished so no access from above...
  2. JCH

How to make an in-between length of brass nipple?

Just finished tiling a new shower/tub. Having a hard time finding a brass nipple the right length for the shower arm and tub spout installation. A 2-1/2" x 1/2" brass nipple is too long (and leaves them about 1/4" from the wall. I'm assuming that the next length down (2" x 1/2") will leak...
  3. JCH

Mounting copper manifolds?

I am replacing the trunk-and-branch copper supply plumbing in my house with a PEX home run system. Turns out that it's not very common here and even finding manifolds is challenging at the local plumbing supply shop. I eventually found these...
  4. JCH

Troubleshooting lack of seat heat in Toto s300 Washlet?

I have an s300 Toto Washlet that has been running trouble-free since 2009. Until last week that is. Now there is no seat heat. All the rest of the functions seem to work. Replaced the batteries in the remote, unplugged the seat to let it reset, but still no luck. Any suggestions on how to...
  5. JCH

Recommended replacement for ancient oil-fired boiler ? Gas boiler? Heat pump?

We have an old oil-fired boiler (1970's?) that is so expensive to run that we've been using portable electric heaters in its place (yet still saving $1,000+ / year in the cost differential). **Looking to get a permanent solution in place and am not sure where to start. Do I install a gas...
  6. JCH

Brass waste/overflow: Recommendations??

I'm installing a Kohler Villager cast iron built-in bathtub. I'm looking for recommendations on a Chrome waste/overflow assembly that won't pit and look lousy in 10 years. My plumber thought a "Gerber" (?) would be a great choice but then noticed that the parts in the tub are not brass...
  7. JCH

Recommended shower install materials??

I'm in western Canada (Victoria), so I'm looking for advice about products available here. Been reading the posts about Kerdi here and on John Bridge and I'm getting overwhelmed.... Been to Big Orange and some contractor tile places and the number of choices is staggering! For a...
  8. JCH

Minimum stud spacing for Delta/Pex shower controller??

I laid out/installed all my studs for a 36" custom shower (11" and 20" from the side wall), and now we've decided to switch to a 30-1/4" Kohler Villager bathtub instead. So now my shower controller has to move.... and so do the studs (unless I just box out the controller area) :( What's...
  9. JCH

Bathtub installation -- order of installation (end pony wall, tub, heated floor)?

Here is my gutted bathroom. I have a left-hand-drain Kohler Villager cast iron tub (with apron) that I want to install along the far wall (i.e. along the wall that has exposed insulation): The tub is 60" long and the available space is 78" (with a downward-sloping ceiling). Questions: 1) Do...
  10. JCH

Bonding when 2 circuits in one box?

I have a wall switch box that will have 2 circuits in it: 1) A pass-through circuit with just a junction between incoming and outgoing wires; and 2) A light switch at the tail end of a separate circuit. I have attached Circuit #2's bonding wire to the box because it is the circuit that is...
  11. JCH

Drainwater heat recovery installation

Got my Drainwater Heat Recovery Unit (DWHR unit) last week. What this does is use warm drain water to pre-heat the water that I'm using (in the shower). Depending on the size of the heat exchanger, you can cut your hot water heating bill in half (mine should drop by 33%). The drain water...
  12. JCH

Opening concrete floor without filling the house with dust?

Need to open up our 60+ year old concrete basement floor to modify the main drain's piping. The hole will be about 1' wide by 3' long, adjacent to the basement wall. 4" cast iron drain goes into the slab at this point. Which of these approaches would create the least dust? - renting a...
  13. JCH

Lead flashing for 3" stink stack -- sealant required?

Just up-sized my plumbing venting so that it now has a 3" vent going through the roof. I had a roofer install a lead flashing (with lead counter-flashing cap) for me. He nailed it along the top edge (under the shingles), but did not use any sealant/roofing cement/anything. He said the weight...
  14. JCH

Bow's SuperPEX??

About to replumb my small (1-1/2 story) house. Was interested in using Wirsbo, but none of the local plumbing supply outlets stock it -- all special order. I'm in Canada so ordering Wirsbo from, say pexsupply, would be expensive shipping-wise. What the local suppliers have instead is...
  15. JCH

What's your favorite shower pan material?

As mentioned in another post, I'm replacing a clawfoot tub with a shower, 36"W x 50"L with 12" neo-angle on one end. Our designer keeps pushing us towards getting a custom shower base made (either acrylic or some solid material that I can't recollect). I was under the impression that a...
  16. JCH

Shower layout / joist interference

I'm redoing a bathroom and replacing a clawfoot tub with a shower. My designer has spec'd a 36" W x 50" L shower area along one wall with a 1-foot neo-angle corner. However, the floor joist runs lengthwise under the proposed shower area at 18" from the wall (right where I would want to...
  17. JCH

Four DWV Venting Layout questions

A previous owner developed the attic in our house in 1994. This included adding a bathroom up there (clawfoot tub, lav, toilet). We want to replace the tub with a custom shower (center drain). The clawfoot tub is alongside an exterior wall (which makes venting tricky). I've been reading...
  18. JCH

Temporarily capping Polybutylene ?

I've just discovered that the 1992 reno in our house used Polybutylene piping (with copper fittings). No leaks (yet). The polybutylene is all daisy-chained together in one long run. Basement -> kitchen -> 2nd floor bathroom. The rest of the pipe in the house is copper. I plan on...
  19. JCH

How to temporily remove cast iron radiators?

Our house has 1942-vintage cast iron radiators with a hot-water boiler. I will need to temporarily remove a radiator while tiling our bathroom floor, but am worried that I may crack the 65-year old joints when torquing on them. Is there a "trick" to getting these out in one piece so that...
  20. JCH

Help retrofitting handheld shower onto clawfoot tub spout

We are about to rip apart our main bathroom (that has the only shower in the house) and therefore won't be able to use it during the reno. Our backup bathroom has a clawfoot tub (no shower) and an angled ceiling, but we *really* want to be able to shower there while the main bathroom is...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks