Temporarily capping Polybutylene ?

Users who are viewing this thread

JCH

Reaction score
I've just discovered that the 1992 reno in our house used Polybutylene piping (with copper fittings). No leaks (yet).

The polybutylene is all daisy-chained together in one long run. Basement -> kitchen -> 2nd floor bathroom. The rest of the pipe in the house is copper.

I plan on replacing the PB with copper, but would like to keep the kitchen water working while I repipe the 2nd floor bathroom.

Is there a way to temporarily cap off the polybutylene pipes just *after* the kitchen?

I haven't seen any pb fittings locally (I'm in BC, Canada) so not sure what I could use for this.

Appreciate the help,
.../j

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
For temporary caps I like Sharkbite type units. They have Orings and teeth that keep them on under pressure. They can be taken off and reused with no tools. I used them as I was doing the work in my house. Take them off when I start and just cap off at night so I can turn the watter back on.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would agree on using the Sharkbite end cap in this application.
They should be available at the Big Orange Box Store.

donnagvia

Reaction score
Another choice

There is another product you could use as well and that is COPRO Quick connection fittings they unlike Sharkbite are repairable and full flow which sharkbite is not and they are also made of Non-Toxic materials which Sharkbite can not say since they are required to list on all thier packing a propostion 65 warning that states: this product has been found in the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects as well as reproductive problems. In fact by state law any installer/ contractor is required by Law to inform thier customer of the dangers of using thier product. I also found COPRO to be just a better or sturdy product if you want to look at this product you can find them at www.quickfitting.com that is where I found mine.

DonnaGvia

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Tell you the truth everything causes a problem in California under the rules of Prop. 65. Considering the materials you are joining probably also cause a problem under prop.65 what difference does it make?

Tell you the truth in order for something not to require prop. 65 labeling it would probably have to have fallen of a UFO and be an exotic material that is as of yet unknown.:eek:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
That prop 65 is refering to lead content in brass fittings and faucets.
Allmost all brass fittings contain a certain amount of lead.It is part of the
process to make a brass alloy.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That prop 65 is refering to lead content in brass fittings and faucets.
Allmost all brass fittings contain a certain amount of lead.It is part of the
process to make a brass alloy.

That is correct and copro fittings are made out of brass!:eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks