Search results

1. Benze

Running out of hot water with a 60G tank

I've got a 60G bottom feed electric hot water tank that recently seems to be running out of hot water sooner that I would have liked. It has 2 gravity feedback loops on it that normally work fine. I checked the elements and they are both working properly, so I suspect it is more a question of...
  2. Benze

How to plan for new master-shower?

Hi, My wife wants a new master-bathroom with a kick ass shower. ie: multi-head body sprays, ceiling mounted rain-head, pulsating jets, etc. (She had even tossed in the term steam but I think I may have convinced her out of that). At this point, I realize I am outside of my comfort zone...
  3. Benze

Maximum distance for horizontal bathroom DWV?

Hi, This may be code/region dependent, but I was wondering if there was a maximum length/distance (logically or otherwise) for a bathroom DWV line. I'm looking to add a half storey to the house, and where I want to locate my new master bathroom would cause some semi-significant demo work in...
  4. Benze

Any way to have a gravity recirc loop with a tankless water heater?

Hi, I've got a 60gal hot water tank with a gravity recirc loop that is working well. My home currently has 3 full baths and 1 half-bath. I am now looking to add an extension to my home that will include a new master bath and an additional full bath. With 3 girls living in the house, I...
  5. Benze

Gravity recirc loop strange problem

Hi, I just tried putting in a single branch gravity recirculation loop and am running into a really strange problem. I've got a bottom feed hot water tank (ie: the cold water enters at the bottom), and the hot water exits at the top. My incoming cold water supply is 1" PEX and my...
  6. Benze

Gravity vs Pump recirculating loops - which is more energy efficient?

Hi, I've been reading up on recirc loops and am trying to understand which is more efficient for a residential use. Given a setup in which there is a dedicated hot-water return line, I realize that a gravity loop could potentially be used. My question is the following. From what I...
  7. Benze

Solenoid safety valves for laundry room?

Hi, I'm plumbing my laundry room, and thought it would be prudent to put in some automatic shutoff valves in case of hose or machine leak in the room. I figured a water sensor at the baseboard level as well as a couple of solenoid valves would do the trick just fine. But I checked my...
  8. Benze

Where to find 1" Pex manifold?

Hi, Does anyone know where I can find a 1" inlet, 3/4" outlet Pex manifold? I decided to run 1" Pex-C instead of 3/4" Wirsbo, and I'm looking for a mini-manifold from which I can run a handful of 3/4" lines to fixtures and risers. I've looked at the Watts site, and don't see any there...
  9. Benze

Can I run a dryer vent against a basement foundation wall?

Hi, I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where winters are quite cold and severe. Temperatures here can be as low as -30F in winter. I'm not sure this counts as an HVAC question, but I think this forum is the closest match I can find. I am installing a new dryer vent in my basement and...
  10. Benze

Can I tile and/or install a mortar bed directly over polystyrene (solid) insulation?

I'm looking at redoing my basement bathroom, and one of the things I want to do is put in insulation in my subfloor. Currently the subfloor is the slab (house was built in '67). My original thought was to put in 1" extruded polystyrene insulation and 3/4" ply on top, and then tile ontop of the...
  11. Benze

How to prep a laundry room floor with floor drain for tiling?

Hi, I'm in the midst of renos of my basement, and am adding a 5' x 7' laundry room to the space. My current floor is the concrete slab, but I am planning on putting down in 1" rigid insulation, covered by 3/4" plywood. I haven't done the walls yet, but am planning on using regular 1/2"...
  12. Benze

Basement DWV - can I do this?

Hi, I've torn up my basement slab, cut out the segment of my 4" CI pipe with the old BWV and replacing it with a new ABS one. I'm also adding an wye to the drain so I can plumb in my laundry room. I know that by code you can't use a 90 in the DWV, but can use 2 x 45. I'm running into a...
  13. Benze

I.D. of Wirsbo 3/4" fittings?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any Wirsbo 3/4" fittings lying around and could measure the I.D. of them for me please. I was told yesterday that even the Wirsbo fittings were a smaller I.D. than the same sized copper. Ie: that to get the true equiv of 3/4" copper, one had to use 1"...
  14. Benze

Need help/advice planning new plumbing for a laundry room

Need help/advice planning new DWV for a laundry room Hi, I'm adding a laundry room to my finished basement, and need some help/advice planning for the drains before I start breaking my slab. My planned space is roughly 88" x 61"; I know - a tight squeeze for a laundry room. I'm planning...
  15. Benze

Who makes inline ABS BackWater Valve?

Hi, I noticed that the 4" ABS Bow Backwater Valve at the local hardware store has the inlet side about 3/4" higher than the outlet side. I understand that this is standard in new construction. Does anybody know if they make a retrofit BWV that I can use with my Cast Iron sewer line that...
  16. Benze

ABS vs PVC drain lines in concrete slab? Advantage for one vs the other?

Hi, I'm in the process of renovating my basement (40year old house), and have 2 BackWaterValves that haven't been touched in 40 years. I am fairly confident that when I try to open them the bolts will shear off and I will be forced to replace them. My slab is probably 3-4" thick, and the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks