Search results

1. BellevuePaul

Recommend best drain/overflow assembly for new tubs?

Hah, that's what I thought! I knew there had to be a reason besides material costs that the brass ones cost so much (and that the big boxes don't stock many of them...). I was planning to go brass, but I just couldn't justify it beyond "it feels better." ;-)
  2. BellevuePaul

what's the best way to demo part of a lath-and-plaster wall?

Circ saw sounds good to me Only trouble is, depending on if you're have to cut right up to a corner, it's hard to get the circ saw in there all the way. I have a little cordless circ saw that's great for stuff like this. BTW -- is there tile on the wall right now where you want to cut? I...
  3. BellevuePaul

greenboard or cement board?

Makes sense Still wondering about toolaholic's comment though about greenboard being "wrong." Is he referring to the strength issue someone else mentioned?
  4. BellevuePaul

Flange: "should" be level to tile floor???

Okay, that's what I thought! Thanks to all here for restoring my flagging sense of sanity! :-)
  5. BellevuePaul

How to tie copper to ABS DWV?

So how can I un-stick myself? Rio -- thanks, I eventually found two of those. Trouble is, they don't really look very soil-friendly on the inside to go in the direction I would need them to run. There are rough transitions in there that look like they would create clogs. I think that's...
  6. BellevuePaul

What is your favorite interior latex paint?

Learn to clean a brush properly ...or I would say you shouldn't be painting. :-) Once you can clean a brush right, it will last for a long long time. I know this seems simple, but my girlfriend for example prefers not to spend the energy and so spends money on all kinds of mediocre disposable...
  7. BellevuePaul

greenboard or cement board?

no greenboard, huh? redguard instead? Interesting comment about 16" centers for normal ceilings...it seems like I'd heard that many truss built houses might even have 24" now. Anyway, I was wondering if the posters could explain *why* greenboard wouldn't be a good idea for a ceiling, in...
  8. BellevuePaul

Flange: "should" be level to tile floor???

I was talking with a plumber that was quoting some work, and he suggested that if I'm installing tile, really it would be better to put my flange on top of the CBU, but level to the top of the tile, instead of on top of the tile. He claimed "it's just very difficult to get a solid base for the...
  9. BellevuePaul

pinholes

The capsules didn't work for me either I had some fun recently soldering 3/4" ball valves into my main supply lines so I can isolate part of my house easily. I tried those vitamin E like capsule thingies and they didn't work well for me at all. I saw them in a book, and I'm an engineer, so it...
  10. BellevuePaul

How to tie copper to ABS DWV?

So I have old revent and drain lines that I've cut off that were 1-1/4" copper DWV, which seems to be somewhat rare. I have to tie this to 1-1/2" ABS to build a new section for a moved sink. Question is, what's the best way to do this? I found some Fernco reducing couplings at the local...
  11. BellevuePaul

Pressure test

I'm curious about water tests too... Okay, so I fear I'm gonna have to do the same thing, so I have some questions about this also. Since the experts are already here... I am moving a sink, and so rebuilding a 1-1/4" copper DWV drain line and revent with 1-1/2" ABS (this has its own...
  12. BellevuePaul

How are these faucet brands?

This was an HD special It's real sharp looking, but I think I'll probably take it back. I should have known there were two "lines." I hear it's that way with a lot of things, including yard sprinkler components. The faucet is a single lever, and it has this metal "sleeve" that's between...
  13. BellevuePaul

Arrestors: how close is "close"?

Not what I meant, sorry hj Nonono, I certainly didn't mean to offend hj, I'm sure his advice is great! Actually, I lived in Arizona for a short while, so I have nothing against that great state either. My poor attempt at obscurity was perhaps too obscure. :-( I prefered not to mention the...
  14. BellevuePaul

How are these faucet brands?

In doing some reading here, I'm surprised at how well regarded the major american brands are -- it seems like often the popular brands are actually junk. I have my reservations about PP, having just installed a new kitchen faucet that has leaky o-rings if you push up on the faucet arm (it leaks...
  15. BellevuePaul

Arrestors: how close is "close"?

First time poster, be gentle. :-) So, I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel that I've got torn down to the wood, and the last plumbing rough-in project I'm considering is adding Sioux Chief arrestors to the toilet supply lines for both of the bathrooms (one backs up to the other, right at...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks