Arrestors: how close is "close"?

Users who are viewing this thread

BellevuePaul

Seasoned DIYer
Reaction score
First time poster, be gentle. :)

So, I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel that I've got torn down to the wood, and the last plumbing rough-in project I'm considering is adding Sioux Chief arrestors to the toilet supply lines for both of the bathrooms (one backs up to the other, right at the stack...common design). Before I started, when one toilet would stop filling, the hammer would cause the other one's valve to leak and run for about 10 seconds -- bad sign.

My question is, the toilet supplies come off a common line in a "U" shape and are about 1 foot part. Would it be sufficient to put a single arrestor in the middle of this "U" part of the supply? That would make distance to the 1/4 turn valves about 12" linearly in each direction I guess.

How close does a mini-rester really need to be to the valve in question to work?

The mini-rester I found was the 5/8" OD straight compression type. That's all Big Orange stocks. Is it worth going looking for the other ones? The lav-sink one looks nice for that purpose, the shower one looks unecessary and would get in the way of my double-shower trees with limited space. The 1/2" MIP looks most flexible? I could sweat a Tee and then an FIP adapter onto that?

P.S. -- Terry, this is a GREAT SITE! If I ever get in over my head, I'm calling you since you're in my back yard anyway. I got a quote from some of your local competition, you know, the ones from "Arizona." They were horrible. :( Everything they told me about my plumbing was wrong.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks Paul,

One arrestor will work for the back to back toilets. Most directions say that should be within six feet.
I find that the Korky Quietfill valves have almost no water hammer.
The Fluidmasters will bang pretty good.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Az

Being from AZ does not make them a better or worse plumber, just as being listed on the Internet does not mean they would be the best choice when a plumber is needed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj,

I don't know who BelleuvePaul is talking about in the Seattle area, but everyone knows that hj from Arizona gives good answers.

It's all good.

BellevuePaul

Seasoned DIYer
Reaction score
Not what I meant, sorry hj

Nonono, I certainly didn't mean to offend hj, I'm sure his advice is great! Actually, I lived in Arizona for a short while, so I have nothing against that great state either. My poor attempt at obscurity was perhaps too obscure. :-( I prefered not to mention the company directly, the Arizona comment was an off-handed reference to a company in the area named after that area of the country. I found that as I researched the advice two of their representatives gave me, I would have been very sorry had I heeded it. :-(

On a similar note, I'm sold on Love (or potentially other posters here in the Seattle area) not just because of the fact they're online, but because all the reading I have done is good and wise advice, to the extent I can measure it. :) There is something to be said, by the way, for just being brave enough to stake your reputation on being a knowledgable person and contributing to an open community...and being right most of the time. :)

Terry, as far as the various valves, thanks for the tip. The one that hammers the most is indeed a replacement Fluidmaster fill tower, I think it slowly destroyed the fill valve on the other toilet for the past couple years. :-/

Sulconst2

Reaction score
being fairly new to the site. i must admit and agree hj has great answers. especially the one were he solved the humming problem!

(quote)
"Sometimes they hum if they are not grounded. They hum when they do not know the words to the song."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks