Search results

1. SuperMatttheHero

Black Soot in bathtub from SharkBite

I've been getting black soot coming out in the bathtub when the hot water hasn't been used all night. It doesn't appear to be broken-up rubber. It is very fine, black, and the large pieces will break up and dissolve if I poke them with my finger. It will smear on the tub. I have a gas hot...
  2. SuperMatttheHero

Cleaning 40 gallon water heater with vinegar?

Is it safe to drain my 40 gallon water heater, fill with a few gallons of white vinegar, and then let it sit overnight? It is 8 years old (2004 model), and every day I hear explosions in it (scale breaking up?). I assume that this would help clean dissolve all of the sediment which doesn't...
  3. SuperMatttheHero

Vikrell tub cracked today after 8 months

My Vikrell tub that we started using last July cracked near the corner of the threshold area, close to where the door sits. Tub was set in piles of mortar and never made a peep while using it. Anyone have experience with Kohler on warranty work? I am really kicking myself for not getting...
  4. SuperMatttheHero

Oatey "no-caulk" drain leaking in shower w/ acrylic pan

Hello, I have an acrylic shower pan that I'm using with an Oatey "no caulk" shower drain. I installed it as advised by the instructions, but it's leaking between the top flange and the shower base. Surprisingly, the "no caulk" rubber gasket is holding up just fine. In other words, the...
  5. SuperMatttheHero

Can't get bath sink drain flange to seal

Hi, One of the white porcelain undermount sinks that came with my granite countertops isn't quite flat enough around the drain flange area. Thus, even after I installed the drain flange with plumbers putty, a few weeks later and most of the putty has washed out in a small 1/2" area around...
  6. SuperMatttheHero

Two toilets on 4" drain

Can I do this, and will it work properly? The (blue) drain is 4" pipe where it attaches to each closet flange and ties into the main stack which goes up through the roof. The black fitting is a combo-wye. There are no other vents (besides the main stack, obviously). The rightmost toilet is 6...
  7. SuperMatttheHero

Cute little plumbing shortcut for toilet vent!

Hey guys, I've got a great little plumbing shortcut you can use to add a vent to a toilet drain. I learned about it this afternoon when I removed my home's original toilet in bathroom #2. All you do is take an elbow fitting, cut a hole in it, insert a piece of pipe, and then caulk the hell out...
  8. SuperMatttheHero

Using CLR to remove buildup from cast iron drain pipes???

A few months ago, I had cut out my bathtub trap and replaced it with a tubular plastic one. The old one was cast iron, and about 50% blocked with a rusty-buildup on the bottomside of the pipe. I was wondering if anyone has tried using CLR to fix a slow cast iron drain, thinking that it might...
  9. SuperMatttheHero

Apparent leak under slab

This wall on my rear patio area has been "moist" the last 2 days. This is a brick veneer wall, where real brick is used in front of sheathing, studs, etc. Inside area of the home corresponding to this section (corner of my kitchen) is dry. My house sits about 16 inches above grade, so...
  10. SuperMatttheHero

Another garbage disposal that is too low?

Hi, Just had granite countertops installed today with a new undermount sink, and now it appears my garbage disposal may be too low for the drain coming out of the wall. Does it look like I need to move my "tee" in the wall lower? Currently the bottom of the disposal discharge is 13 inches...
  11. SuperMatttheHero

Leveling a Jacuzzi Tru-Levelâ„¢ Shower Base

Hi, I have a 48x48 Jacuzzi Tru-Level™ Shower Base. This evening I tried to install it. I dry fit the base first. Then I shimmed it level, taped the shims to the floor, and marked on the studs the edges of the shower base. I then removed the base. I shoveled about 6 or 7 little piles of mortar...
  12. SuperMatttheHero

Sanitary Tee orientation in vent

Hi, I just paid a master plumber to install some venting in my attic. He did OK, but I believe he may have reversed the sanitary tee. This picture illustrates what he did (found it on another web site). Is the sanitary tee in the top middle in the wrong direction? Thanks.
  13. SuperMatttheHero

Home Depot trap adapters

I tried searching for this answer everywhere but came up with nothing. Does Home Depot/Lowes sell trap adapters for the white plastic pipe that does *not* use a tapered washer? It seems to be integrated into the nut? I tried using one with a tapered washer, and could not get the nut to thread.
  14. SuperMatttheHero

Bathtub drain slip nut

Hi, I removed my old tub. I couldn't get the drain out of the tub, so I ended up cutting the brass pipe that connects to it from underneath. I then removed the tub and the slip nuts. The remaining tub drain has the threaded sanitary-tee-like connection, which goes into a lead-filled...
  15. SuperMatttheHero

Closing off central air return

I live in a single-story 1400 sq ft home on a concrete slab. Every room in the house has at least one supply vent, and one return vent. In the office, however, there is also a large 20" x 20" return vent which is on the other side of the main blower for the system. As a result, this return...
  16. SuperMatttheHero

Combining Vent Pipes

I have four 1-1/2" vent pipes in my attic that I would like to combine into a single exit through the roof. What size should that pipe be, or how should I do it? Do the pipe sizes need to increase as they are combined (as with drain pipes)? Thanks
  17. SuperMatttheHero

Lavatory Drain Stub Out length?

How far should the 1-1/2" PVC drain pipe stick out of the wall before the 1-1/4" trap adapter is glued in place? 6 inches? Couldn't find this anywhere. This is for a vanity cabinet sink.
  18. SuperMatttheHero

Floor Cleanout?

Is there a cleanout that can be placed flush with the finished floor(so that you can walk over it safely, etc)?
  19. SuperMatttheHero

The elusive "double fixture fitting"

Where are you guys buying these things? I found one here: So I call my local Ace Hardware, and the guy says he shows an inventory of 91 of those...total...in the entire United States at any Ace Hardware-affiliated store. So then I call two more local plumbing supply stores (J&H Aicheson...
  20. SuperMatttheHero

How should I do this?

Here's a picture to help show what I'm trying to do. The bottom of the picture is where lowest point is (where the pipe drops down and out to the sewer). I understand that the Fernco flexible fitting shown is not allowed to be buried, nor is the 2" sanitary tee on its back as shown on the...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks