Sanitary Tee orientation in vent

Users who are viewing this thread

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
Hi,

I just paid a master plumber to install some venting in my attic. He did OK, but I believe he may have reversed the sanitary tee. This picture illustrates what he did (found it on another web site). Is the sanitary tee in the top middle in the wrong direction?

Thanks.

venting.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Air movement in the vent doesn't really care, and if any condensation or rain or snow melt got in there, it would still have a path to drain...so, in this case, don't think it makes any difference.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
A picky inspector might gripe about it, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over the tee being the "wrong way" in a vent application.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Inspectors do NOT believe air flows freely, so they insist on the fittings being properly oriented. But, as a practical matter, it doesn't make any difference.

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
Well, not only is the tee reversed, but i see now that he didnt prime & glue the 3" pipe where it exits through the roof. And i paid $100/hr for this work...by a master plumber and gas fitter.

And now things will get ugly.

b9020a4d.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It appears that "master plumber" if he actually called himself that, (and you did not just assume he was one because he has a truck), was NOT really one, or even a halfway competent plumber for that matter. He looks more like a handyman who does EVERYTHING including plumbing. Even that 2" joint into the bushing looks "funny", but it could just be the camera angle.

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
Welp, I did validate his license, and he is indeed a master plumber & master gas fitter. He is here fixing the situation...he did not argue or ask any more questions after he saw it in person.

SuperMatttheHero

Reaction score
He is here fixing the situation...he did not argue or ask any more questions after he saw it in person.

And in the process, he spilled the purple PVC primer all over my new Vikrell tub (hasn't even been used yet!). I could have died!

Luckily, I quickly got some Clorox OxyMagic to remove the majority of the staining. What spots didn't come out using that, I removed up by lightly blotting it with a rag and some acetone. No harm to the finish.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've got some PVC joints that have primer that looks like that. They are in my irrigation system, and were made while standing on my head while reaching down into a narrow 2 foot deep trench. I buried them as quickly as possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks