Search results

1. Pronouncedeyen

can't remove tub overflow drain

Thank you all for the help! I sprayed in some PB Blaster and got it turned about a quarter turn but no further. I tried my plumbers pliers, a screwdriver with a torque bar, and a jimmy bar but it will not go any further. I'm pretty sure if I push any harder I'm going to break the tabs off. I...
  2. Pronouncedeyen

Cool! What would I unscrew it with? Is there a special tool?
  3. Pronouncedeyen

Thanks Smooky. I read that thread and at first Terry said it screws in but then everybody decided to just grind off the tabs. I'm a little worried about doing that. what if the tabs are needed to hold the gasket tight?
  4. Pronouncedeyen

I've replaced the beveled washer on the back of a tub overflow drain a number of times in the past. But I've never seen one like this! I took off the front cover and the screw holes are held in by tabs that stick out too far to push back behind the tub! What the hell? I thought maybe the whole...
  5. Pronouncedeyen

1949 American Standard wall hung sink

We had a similar sink before and the front holes are for legs. I believe the back rested on top of a bracket but I don't remember. Maybe the back of your sink rested on a bracket that stuck out below the sink. It's possible that there were no scratches on the back because it was never mounted...
  6. Pronouncedeyen

do AAVs expel sewer gases?

This may be a stupid question but if an AAV remains closed until it receives negative pressure from water going down the drain then how does it expel sewer gases? What happens to them if you use an AAV?
  7. Pronouncedeyen

shower drain

You can't see in the pic but there's no ceiling underneath so I have full access to the next bay. I would cut the 2" pipe over there. The only issue I see with cutting it out and redoing it is that the height of the 2 45s might be different than the 2 90s he used. And if it's not the same height...
  8. Pronouncedeyen

shower drain

I agree. Is it worth cutting the whole thing out and doing it with two 45s? Is it a flow issue or just more likely to get clogged? It's a shower and my wife is pretty good about not letting hair down there. And I on the other hand haven't had to worry about hair down the drain in many years!
  9. Pronouncedeyen

shower drain

My contractor came to rough in the plumbing for our new bathroom and when we measured out the shower the edge of the drain sat over top of a joist. "No problem" he said and he chipped away some of the joist and used a couple of 90 degree elbows to reach the trap. Is this ok? I was worried that...
  10. Pronouncedeyen

Venting a shower with an AAV

Hmm. My local code says that holes cut in load bearing studs can't exceed 40% of the width. It's a full size 2x4 so 40% of 4" is 1.6". Looks like I could squeeze a 1-1/4" PVC pipe in that hole. Can I use 1-1/4" PVC to vent a 2" pipe?
  11. Pronouncedeyen

OK guys you sufficiently freaked me out about the AAVs that I looked into putting in a real vent for the shower and tub instead of a third AAV. I've already finished installing all the plumbing for the double lavs so I'm not going to redo that part. Besides, putting in actual vents for those...
  12. Pronouncedeyen

Speaking of the bathtub: is there any way to use an AAV to vent the tub without having it above the floor? I'm not crazy about having it sticking up out of the floor right next to the tub.
  13. Pronouncedeyen

Well, I don't know what I'm doing! That's why I'm on this forum in the first place. We're using AAVs because the house is 100 years old, made of brick and plaster and the closest vent is 25 feet away from the farthest sink. I suppose you're right - that I could have had the drains for the...
  14. Pronouncedeyen

OK, here's the layout. The red pipes are 1.5", the blue pipes are 2", and the brown pipe is 4". Get it? Brown? You guys probably never get tired of toilet jokes, right? Now I'm not at home so all distances are approximate but they're probably within 6 inches or so. The sinks (lavs?) have P...
  15. Pronouncedeyen

it's not all 2". I'll make another drawing.
  16. Pronouncedeyen

OK, thanks again all. Is there a certain height the AAV should be above the shower floor? I've heard differing opinions on this.
  17. Pronouncedeyen

Thanks guys. I'll put the AAV behind an air grill. So then should I go with option #1? or #2? Does it not make a difference? Which will have better flow?
  18. Pronouncedeyen

Why is it illegal? I thought AAV's are approved in my area. Or maybe not for a shower? I'm not sure. If I do it the first way without the AAV then the shower won't be vented. Is that ok? I was planning to have access to the AAV from the other side of the shower wall which is in a laundry room...
  19. Pronouncedeyen

I'm plumbing a new bathroom in an old house. A really old house. And since it's made of brick and plaster I decided to vent using AAVs instead of tearing up plaster walls and ceilings to get to the stack. I'm getting ready to tie the shower drain into the main 2" branch that the bathtub and...
  20. Pronouncedeyen

Can I cut through a top plate?

Thanks all for the great responses. This really is a great website.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks