Search results

1. joslinm

Weil-McLain GV-4 won't fire

Was hoping to fix myself.
  2. joslinm

Weil-McLain GV-4 won't fire

I have a Weil-McLain GV-4 series 1 that won't go past fan running with only the power light lighting. After a few recycles, I did get it to light and heat for about 15 minutes, then it shut down again. Lights began to flash, but unfortunately I didn't notice which ones. Made an inquiry at the...
  3. joslinm

Weil-McLain GV-4 Overheating

the indicator light. Might be worth a shot to change the circulator anyway as it's 20 yrs old? Hate throwing parts at it for nothing. I'd have somebody look at it but they wouldn't be able to reproduce the problem Thanks for the help, Mike
  4. joslinm

thought that too, but why would this happen only a couple times a day at most? Just happened as I'm writing. The gurgling sounds like its from the expansion tank. The bottom is too hot to touch as is the inlet valve
  5. joslinm

I replaced the limit switch and set lower to 160 but still intermittently goes higher (220) with flame off Finally got video and audio of the thing doing what it does Not great, but you'll be able to hear (turn your sound up) and see temp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3adlVi9pP0...
  6. joslinm

Noticed some banging in the pipes near my boiler and discovered temp is up to 260 and still going higher. Shut of wall switch and restarted and seems to be fine now. What to check on and replace so this doesn't happen when I'm away for a week???
  7. joslinm

Keeping pipes from freezing

The enclosure exists already for over 10 yrs now and works fine. Just looking for a solution to the drains freezing at the point where they go into the vent pipe
  8. joslinm

Nope, not made up at all. That's why I'm asking for ideas. The heat lamp has been there for 15 years and is on a thermostat. But that isn't the problem. The pipe outside of the enclosed heat light area is freezing because the cold air comes strait in from the outside through the vent pipe. You...
  9. joslinm

the heat lamp is in the enclosed, insulated area where the water softener is. The heat from it does not get to where the 2 drains go into the side of the 3 in PVC. It's ok to wrap heat tape around that pipe?
  10. joslinm

Trying to get this fixed before cold weather. I have an unheated garage inside home. Gets down as low as 35 or so during coldest below zero weather. The drains for the water softener and the home boiler go into a vent pipe from the outside. During the coldest weather, they freeze. Need...
  11. joslinm

Sewer line blockage

I appreciate your advice. I have not treated it with anything. It's only happened a handful of times in the last 6 months. Can't put my finger on why so intermittent. I have no trees anywhere near the line except for the usual shrubbery around the house. What could partially clog the line if...
  12. joslinm

Sewer line blockage

A little history.... I have a 25 yr old 4 bedroom colonial built on a slab. I have a clean out in the rear outside of the house and a vent in the front of the house (2 ft off the ground) that goes into the wall of the garage and then elbows down into the garage slab. On this pipe that goes...
  13. joslinm

Weil-McLain GV4 quits

Going on 24 years old and has intermittently always given me grief. Seems like a couple times a year it just quits. Often if I shut off the breaker for 5 or 10 minutes and back on, it will work fine for another 6 months. Today, we're in the middle of TS Irene. Did some work inside and...
  14. joslinm

Kenmore no brine draw

I ended up taking the unit out, turning on side and hosed all the salt out. Much of it was caked dust at the bottom. Unfortunately as you know nothing turns out to be easy. All the o rings on the bypass were bad and it wouldn't completely shut off. I've got a kit, but of course, the ones I...
  15. joslinm

Kenmore no brine draw

I may have the problem. The reason the suction works fine when in the pail of water is because there isn't crap in it. The reason it stops suctioning when in the well is because it's got lots of salt flakes etc in there. In the process of rinsing a couple times. If that doesn't work, I'll remove...
  16. joslinm

Kenmore no brine draw

What is usually the problem (material) when there is a blockage? Thanks, a million to you and others for being patient with me.
  17. joslinm

Kenmore no brine draw

Not sure what my next step should be. Would it be worth all the time it would take to empty out all the salt and water and start fresh?
  18. joslinm

Kenmore no brine draw

Float wasn't on in my experiment. Just the end of the tube put in the brine well. Suction for a few seconds then nothing.
  19. joslinm

Kenmore no brine draw

Took the drain apart and found nothing blocking it. blew theough very easily. After messing around some more I've found that on brine with the hose in a bucket of water, the level goes right down. But put that hose in the brine tube, the suction stops in about 5- 10 seconds. Did it over and...
  20. joslinm

Kenmore no brine draw

Ok, this is what I've done. I disconnected the float valve, so I could feel the suction at the end of the tube. Put on brine cycle and found the suction fine. Put the tube into a bucket and a couple of inches of water sucked right out in minutes. Then all suction stopped. Did this a couple...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks