Search results

1. Shluffer

Min pipe size for a bathroom

I'm updating a bathroom and replacing the old brass water lines. For the life of me I can't get the 3/4 PEX lines up to the bathroom, but was able to up 1/2 inch. Am I asking for trouble if I feed a shower, sink, and toilet branched off a 1/2 line? For clarity: 1) line from water heater to...
  2. Shluffer

Downflow gravity hydronic heating - bleeding radiators

My wife and I just closed on a house with what I think downflow gravity heating. My identification is baes on 2+inch pipe looped around the basement on the retun, 6 inch supply to the radiators, large compression tank in the crawlspace above the third floor, radiator lines are run vertically...
  3. Shluffer

Insulatiing an exterior wall - will this work?

I was searching the internet for different ways to insualte my sunroom, and I ran into an interesting idea. The gist of it is to insulate the cavity between the 2x4s with R-13, and install rigid foam board to close up the walls. He then sealed the seams with tape, added furring strips on top...
  4. Shluffer

Trying to add a GFI. Having a couple of problems

I would like to add a couple of GFI outlets in my basement. I have two unused (or at least I think unused) electrical lines running to the area in question. Both dead end there (the wires were just left hanging in the open air, a discovery I'm not happy about). The first line is the old...
  5. Shluffer

Recipricating saw blades for plaster

I'm taking down a whole bunch of plaster with wire mesh under it. Any suggestions as to which blades I should use? I'm thinking about trying the diablo blades for metal. I figure at $3 the experiment isn't that bad if it fails. The other option is a carbide blade. They are rather...
  6. Shluffer

Widening an exterior door

The situation: I have a wooden exterior door which has four hinged panels. It open at the junction of the middle two panes, and the door opens like a bifold on both sides (exactly like a bifold closet door, but heavier and designed for an exterior door). I am planning on replacing it with a...
  7. Shluffer

Replacing / repairing PRV

This is a caompanion thread to my optimal PSI thread. I think my valve is dead. It now reduces the preasure down to 25. is this concistent with a failed valve, or do they stop decreasing the preasure when they fail? I did try and tighten the adjustment screw, but it did not have any affect...
  8. Shluffer

Optimal PSI for house water

I noticed that my water supply from the street has a peasure reducing fitting on it. The preasure is currently set to 25 PSI and it has a range from 25-75 PSI. I am looking to install an RODI system, which requires water preasure of at least 50 PSI. I have a couple of questions about this...
  9. Shluffer

Cutting Marble Tile

What blade do I use? Can I use the same blade as is used for ceramic? Yes I am using a wet saw.
  10. Shluffer

Garage door opener

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here. My garage door opener (an alister 1/3 HP if that matters) stuck on, melted the belt, and possibly burnt out the motor (not sure yer, i'm going to let it cool down and see if it still works). How do these things know when to turn off...
  11. Shluffer

radiator not working

I have a hydronic system. all of my radiators heat up fine except for one. I have attempted to bleed the radiator to no avail. The pipe on its way to the radiator heats up until the valve, but on the radiator side of the valve its cold. I have checked to make sure the valve is open. Any other ideas?
  12. Shluffer

Water heater

My gas water heater is going, or at least that is what I assume the pool of water under it indicates. any suggestions as to what brand / type I should replace it with? I plan to stay in the house for three to five years, so I'm not sure if tankless would pay off.
  13. Shluffer

Weil mclain boiler not lighting

I have a weil mclain gold boiler (hydronic heat). The boiler cycles on with the thermostat but it does not light. I loosened the bleeder valve to confirm that oil was flowing and it is. This is the first time I started it up for the year. It was working at the end of last year. Anything I can...
  14. Shluffer

Installing a pellet stove

I am installing a pellet stove and placing the exhaust vent through the window. I will be closing up the window in order to facilitate this, with a "removable" closure. My issue is that I need the material I build the "wall" out of to be non combustible as it will be touching the vent pipe from...
  15. Shluffer

Geothermal Heat - Old house is it worth it?

I have an old house with poor insulation in CT. I am trying to figure out if it is worth installing, and if it will work. My understanding is that I will have to run ducts. I have a couple of other things I am trying to figure out: 1) What is maintenance on this thing like? How much does it...
  16. Shluffer

RePlumbing old hot water system for efficiency

I have a 4K ft^2 house in connecticut. I am concidering what I can do for efficiency. One thaught I had is to replumb the heating lines. I currently have one inch pipes in the basement, with supply lines running up to each radiator on tht three floors. I'm thinking that If I replace it with a...
  17. Shluffer

Kitchen sink clogged

My kitchen sink won't drain. The drain runs through an old disposal, then into a trap and down a drain pipe. I pulled the trap off and the sink drained. Thing is, there was no water in the drain pipe (at least none that I could feel). Am I just not reaching in far enough to check for water, or...
  18. Shluffer

Painting Tile

The folks at the local big box store, and they claim that a primer called the gripper will allow me to paint the tile, and have the paint last. Sounds to good to be true. Is it?
  19. Shluffer

Removing Compound

A while back I attempted to skin coat a wall with compound. Failure would not describe the result. I have started to sand down the wall, but that is going to take forever and a day. Is there an easy way to remove the compound and start over? The wall behind it is plasterboard.
  20. Shluffer

Table saw question

I'm hoping that this post doesn't go awry of the rules. If it does, I apologize in advance. I'm looking to purchase a table saw and I am trying to choose between the Bosch 4000-09 and the 4100-09. the only difference I can figure out is that the new one has a slightly more powerful motor, and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks