Search results

1. Cacher_Chick

Solar battery charging

I am hoping for some insight on this from the career electricians and/or others here who are versed in the trade. I have an empty lot with no utilities and have been using a battery powered pump to pull water from a channel for irrigation. I picked up a pair of used solar panels and a charge...
  2. Cacher_Chick

Floating LVT flooring in a bath?

We have been looking at options for flooring and like the look of some of the new vinyl planks. The manufacturers are clear about the need for a gap around the perimeter of the room because of the expansion/contraction of the flooring, but I have not seen anything to say how to deal with the...
  3. Cacher_Chick

Cast iron tub shipping?

My first new Kohler cast iron tub is in shipping. Do they usually come on a skid, or in a crate or? It's supposed to be -20 for the next couple of days so I'm thinking about how best to deal with the shipping inspection.
  4. Cacher_Chick

5600 Economizer valve problem

I thought I was dreaming, but after the 3rd night I came to the reality that my softener did regenerate every night for 3-4 nights. Looking at the program wheel, it had clearly failed to return back to full capacity while the regeneration took place. I was able to spin it manually ok, and I...
  5. Cacher_Chick

To tub, or not to tub, that is the question?

My humble home has a single alcove tub/shower combo which is way past due for a remodel. It seems to be common practice for bathrooms to be built with a nice tile shower, which I find attractive, but am not sure about the resale issue of a home with no bathtub. Presently, we might soak in the...
  6. Cacher_Chick

Methods for sealing sill plate to foundation?

My basement was constructed with standard 8" concrete block and the sill plate was set on that with no gasket. Needless to say, is has major air infiltration which I would like to stop. I've gotten spray foam underneath it in places, but most of the foam just falls down into the hollow...
  7. Cacher_Chick

502 bad gateway

I have been getting this page error repeatedly when browsing the Terry Love forums. Is it just me?
  8. Cacher_Chick

Bad breaker or ground fault?

I think this has been shuffled around here before, but I don't recall any very definitive answers. As a learning tool, I would love to hear from the working electricians as to how they would proceed. Here is the situation- You have been dispatched to newly built home. The complaint is...
  9. Cacher_Chick

Soundproofing around a shower?

I've built a new bath with a 60" Kohler Vikrell shower. I'm getting ready to drywall the room adjacent to the shower and it's occurred to me that I might want to do something to help mute noise that might resonate from the shower walls. It might be worth noting that I'm cheap and I don't...
  10. Cacher_Chick

Mysterious Tripping GFCI receptacle

With all the talk of how GFCI's work and where or why they should be used, I would appreciate some discussion on how to diagnose a problem. I have a good multi-meter and know how to use it. I could even dig out my labscope if I had some good ideas of what to look for. I have 2- 20 amp...
  11. Cacher_Chick

Bathroom Vent Fans

I recently installed 2 Panasonic vent fans due to their extremely good ratings here on the forums. I noticed when I installed them that the door for preventing backflow draft has a notable gap all the way around it, and does very little to actually stop cold air from coming back into the room...
  12. Cacher_Chick

Replacing Basement Windows

My R.O. in the concrete is 32"x21". I can get a vinyl window 31-3/4 wide and install it directly into the concrete opening, sealing with a little spray foam and caulk, or I make and install a treated wood frame inside the R.O., and get a proportionally smaller window to fit inside the wood...
  13. Cacher_Chick

Adding circuit in existing EMT?

I'd like to have a copy of the NEC, but I cannot justify the expense of buying the big book for the little bit I would use it. I would like to pull a new 120V branch circuit through an existing 3/4" raceway which is currently housing only the conductors for a 240V electric dryer. Is...
  14. Cacher_Chick

Sleeving PVC for concrete pour?

When one pours a slab over a rough-in, what is commonly used to sleeve the drain and vent pipes where they are coming up though the slab?
  15. Cacher_Chick

Trenching & high water table?

I am wondering how plumbers deal with standing groundwater when it comes time to backfill a rough-in underslab? I don't imagine you will wait a month for things to dry up.....
  16. Cacher_Chick

PCV to C.I. joints

I work in a 15 year old building which uses all PVC above grade and C.I. below grade. I had always assumed that the joints in C.I. bell were done with a rubber donut, but I recently looked closer and found that they were done with lead. Are these joints done using oakum and lead as was...
  17. Cacher_Chick

DWV testing and mysterious leak- solved

Thought I would share this as it might prevent others from suffering through the same hassle. I'm pre-testing my new bathroom DWV in preparation for inspection. The inspector requested to see a 5 psi air test of the system. This is normal under Wisconsin code. I have spent WAY too much...
  18. Cacher_Chick

stack vents and roof vents-

I have my new basement vent stack up to the attic and am preparing to take it through the roof. Our plumbing code states that the vent terminal must be at least 10 feet from an air intake. I have these roof vents at 10 foot intervals across the length of the roof- I believe these...
  19. Cacher_Chick

Plumbing for ejector pump discharge-

I am installing an ejector pump for a basement bath and I have not seen any specific references to common/best practices when routing pipe for the ejector pump discharge. Does a plumber install the line using the common rules for branch drains? Is it recommended that the horizontal pipe...
  20. Cacher_Chick

Major/Minor quandary

My 4" CI stack enters the building drain (above the floor) via the side inlet of a cottage fitting. On the upstream end of the cottage fitting is the building drain cleanout. What I would like to do is add a 4x4x1.5 wye in the building drain between the cleanout and the existing cottage...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks