Help needed septic drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Accidentally poked through my septic drain pipe. Not drain field pipe. Pipe from septic to d-box. Barely touched it with my pick knowing I was close but still hit it. Anyways, my plan is to use some pvc cement to “weld” the cracks that go both directions, and then use either a coupling or schedule 40 or some of the same drain pipe… or something else?… with 2 cuts lengthwise creating a C shape, and snap that on with cement on both c and over the entire damaged area. And just wrap it in some good tape maybe window flashing tape just for more waterproofing…

I saw someone do it this way wondering if this is a good way to go. I want to avoid digging up more at all cost!!! Also, note the right side crack does stop short of fitting.

Attachments

• IMG_9296.jpeg
    IMG_9296.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9295.jpeg
    IMG_9295.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 25

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Your method is a patch, not a fix.
What happens is PVC pipe gets brittle, even when not exposed to sunlight. Very common with underground sprinkler systems where I fixed a lot of broken pipe or joints.
You'll need to replace the entire section. It's not all that bad because you're on a bend with 2-45 degree fittings Or 1-45 and 1-22.5. You will need to dig a hole 2-3 times larger to get easy access.

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Your method is a patch, not a fix.
What happens is PVC pipe gets brittle, even when not exposed to sunlight. Very common with underground sprinkler systems where I fixed a lot of broken pipe or joints.
You'll need to replace the entire section. It's not all that bad because you're on a bend with 2-45 degree fittings Or 1-45 and 1-22.5. You will need to dig a hole 2-3 times larger to get easy access.
I don’t think I understand how if you’re at a fitting it makes it easier. Also what’s wrong with a patch in a pressureless system?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don’t think I understand how if you’re at a fitting it makes it easier. Also what’s wrong with a patch in a pressureless system?
I get your point I think the issue is what is right about the patch ? its not legal wont pass inspection and a bit shoddy. But yes your patch works if there are no roots around itll probebly give decades of service without issue but that dosent make it right. no patch on a pipe is ever legal that I know of. and no plumber out there has never patched a pipe.
Someone will always be offended by a repair thats outside the book, its an ethical decision on whats ok or not and each thier own. Im not saying patch it or not but I could see argument to patch or not

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Until the brittle pvc is removed, the crack will continue until both ends meet with a coupling. Ground movement and any freezing of the ground will cause movement exacerbating the problem thought I think you not in a hard freeze environment.

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
I get your point I think the issue is what is right about the patch ? its not legal wont pass inspection and a bit shoddy. But yes your patch works if there are no roots around itll probebly give decades of service without issue but that dosent make it right. no patch on a pipe is ever legal that I know of. and no plumber out there has never patched a pipe.
Someone will always be offended by a repair thats outside the book, its an ethical decision on whats ok or not and each thier own. Im not saying patch it or not but I could see argument to patch or not
Thanks for the reply. Not a thing to disagree with there. I never said it was perfect job. With the roots though I was thinking of backfilling with gravel to do everything possible to keep roots at bay… probably wouldn’t matter but it might at least slow them down in the event of an opening in the patch

Kevinjm4

Reaction score
Until the brittle pvc is removed, the crack will continue until both ends meet with a coupling. Ground movement and any freezing of the ground will cause movement exacerbating the problem thought I think you not in a hard freeze environment.
With aluminum, you drill a hole at the crack end. PVC the same? I live in Seattle a very mild climate

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks