Change Slip Joint Washer Every Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
In my wheelhouse of plumbing...it's generally -new- remodel stuff. Once she's buttoned up, plumbing tools might come back out another decade later ;-)

Lately, I have been disassembling tailpieces, putting them back, etc.
I did not replace the washer last time I undid/redid the connection, but I did replace washer while I had it open this time around (8 months later).

For all your pro's or joe's out there, do you replace them for good measure each and every time you are touching/have access to them upon disassembly/re-assembly. It doesn't make sense not to as the washer is fatigued for however it was previously tightened to. Just wondering it this considered best practice or it's not even up for discussion, it should have been replaced if disassembled....if the world of a pro

Last edited:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I only replace them if they're visibly or obviously defective. Most of the time, just cleaning them of grease makes them good as new. Not a lot of experience with finding "old" rubber slip joint washers yet. I always keep an abundant supply of those washers with me to guarantee that I won't need to use them.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
my use of new or reuse varies. if I'm using the tubular parts over I'll use the washers over most of time.
I've mainly used the white nylon. but find the soft rubber ones seal pretty darn good probably better than the nylon they seem to form over the seams better seal. I'm just a bit on the fence which ones I prefer, but reuse isn't a sin!

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've only used the rubber ones when they came out awhile back. I like them more than than the nylon.

Not all of them are the same. They also make a rubber one I believe that is -softer- that is meant for the nut to be hand tighten only as well.
The one I have in my stash seems a bit thicker overall that the ones that come stock with the tailpiece.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like the rubber ones on brass but since most stuff is plastic these days plastic is what I usually use, and they don't get hard in my tool box. I have used brass rings on tub drains in concealed locations and somewhere I have a few leather ones. I have also seen them in lead. The last two are museum pieces.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
in the 60s my dad said that an inspector made him change the nylon washers to lead washers because Only lead was in the code book.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks