Separate water lines with caps

Users who are viewing this thread

Careyj94

Reaction score
Does anyone know or have an idea why there are these water lines with a separate small capped line? They are on every line in my house and I'm not sure why or if they are necessary. Maybe for flow reasons? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210418_115605.jpg
    20210418_115605.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 115

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks like old style water hammer arrestors.

The way they work is to have air in them. The problem is that air dissolves in water with time. So the captive air sealed units are preferred now.

Do you get water hammer? Water hammer is a single bang that occurs when you turn off a valve quickly.

Careyj94

Reaction score
I think I might I'm not too sure. The upstairs bathroom has been taking a minute or two to get hot and I was wondering if that had something to do with it.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
They are as Reach4 describes, air hammer arrestors. And as noted correctly the stored air under pressure is absorbed into the water. There is no real need to keep them. Better sealed air chambers can be installed on the angle stop or between the wall and angle stop if needed.

They have no relation to how long it takes to deliver water to your fixtures.

The length of time water delivery takes is a function of water pressure, the size/shape of your piping system and distance from the heat source.

Careyj94

Reaction score
Thank you guys for clarifying all that Information! I was concerned about keeping them. I'll keep an ear out for the water hammer and look into the valve stop sealed air chambers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks