Clogged kitchen sink. HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Angela M Moore

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a struggling single mother that sought help for a clogged sink. I used a local "handyman" as I didn't think it a serious enough issue to warrant a plumbing expense and since I am still recovering from brain surgery, money is extremely limited.
Long story short, he apparently used something I have determined to be called "caustic soda" or "Lye"? He has of course disappeared and I cannot afford a huge cost. Is there any possibility of correcting this issue, because now the sink has gone from a very slow drain (before I called) to a complete stop (after he left). Through some simple research this morning I am understanding that this stuff can solidify within the drain. My question is if there is something I can do to break this up and correct it myself? Another product? Renting an auger or some sort, etc.

Thank you so much for any time and assistance with this issue.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yikes.. Protect your eyes around anything that could splash from lye. Neutralize it with vinegar.

Typically a slow bathroom sink drain is caused by hair clogged around the stopper and is easily remedied by removing the stopper arm, pulling the stopper out with the hair clog. Anyone slightly handy can do this with a minimum of tools.

And if possible post a photo of the drain under the sink.

Angela M Moore

Reaction score
Thank you for responding.
Your use of the word "Yikes" is concerning. :( Is it a big expense to fix?

It was in my kitchen sink. I will see about getting a picture of beneath the sink for you asap. So, I should use vinegar down the drain to break up the solidified blockage?
I happen to have an unopen gallon of distilled vinegar on hand.

Reach4

Reaction score
So, I should use vinegar down the drain to break up the solidified blockage?
The purpose would be to keep from getting injured when you use a snake.

1. After the drain sits overnight, how much water can you add before the water backs up? (quarts, gallons, etc)
  2. Do you have a garbage disposal?
  3. Do you have a basement beneath and is the drain pipe from the kitchen readily accessible?
  4. Click inbox, above.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The vinegar is for neutralizing the caustic lye. Typical clogs for kitchen sinks will be grease blockage. If you can take apart the trap, you may be able to see whether the blockage is right there or further down. IF its down the drain into the wall, the best course is going to be a cable snake.

NDL

Reaction score
Thank you for responding.
Your use of the word "Yikes" is concerning. :( Is it a big expense to fix?

It was in my kitchen sink. I will see about getting a picture of beneath the sink for you asap. So, I should use vinegar down the drain to break up the solidified blockage?
I happen to have an unopen gallon of distilled vinegar on hand.

The "yikes" part is because when you use lye...I don't know how to word it, but it can remain in the pipes (if it doesn't get rid of the clog). The "yikes" part comes as a result of - if you use a hanger, an auger, a plunger, etc, to unclog the drain, the action might cause of the lye to splash up out of the drain, and onto your skin or in your eyes. Lye can burn and cause blindness.

He said yikes because of that, not because your repair sounds costly or unfixable :)

Angela M Moore

Reaction score
The purpose would be to keep from getting injured when you use a snake.

1. After the drain sits overnight, how much water can you add before the water backs up? (quarts, gallons, etc)
  2. Do you have a garbage disposal?
  3. Do you have a basement beneath and is the drain pipe from the kitchen readily accessible?
  4. Click inbox, above.
1) gallons
2) no disposal
3) I do have a basement but I am not certain of the drain pipe accessibility.

Angela M Moore

Reaction score
The "yikes" part is because when you use lye...I don't know how to word it, but it can remain in the pipes (if it doesn't get rid of the clog). The "yikes" part comes as a result of - if you use a hanger, an auger, a plunger, etc, to unclog the drain, the action might cause of the lye to splash up out of the drain, and onto your skin or in your eyes. Lye can burn and cause blindness.

He said yikes because of that, not because your repair sounds costly or unfixable :)

Thank you for clearing that up. It sounds kind of dangerous. :( No chance for some sort of fumes or or anything like that? Just burning from splash back?
Of all the things for this guy to use.... sounds like this was, quite possibly the worst.

I will post a picture semi shortly.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Angela, this is beyond what you can do while in recovery. Do you belong to a church or a support group of any kind to ask for help? Any friendly neighbors? It could be nothing more than a simple clog that need to be snaked out. FYI...do not every pour anything down a drain to clear clogs, they do not work except to DRANO your wallet. Lye was used too many years ago because it created heat to melt grease and soaps. Lately, it could be flushable wipes, or any other heavy paper including an accidental tampon got away from someone.

Reach4

Reaction score
1) gallons
2) no disposal
3) I do have a basement but I am not certain of the drain pipe accessibility.

Gallons would imply that the clog was far along. Often a clog happens where the drain pipe switches from vertical to horizontal. I had a clog at such a spot. I sliced a section out of the drain pipe in the basement. I inserted a Brasscraft drain bladder, shoved it down so it would have been below the basement floor where the turn was make. The drain bladder is hooked to a garden hose.

After clearing the blockage, I put the cut-away section of pipe back with two flex couplers.

My drain pipe was against the basement wall, right under the kitchen sink and above my laundry tub.

Angela M Moore

Reaction score
Angela, this is beyond what you can do while in recovery. Do you belong to a church or a support group of any kind to ask for help? Any friendly neighbors? It could be nothing more than a simple clog that need to be snaked out. FYI...do not every pour anything down a drain to clear clogs, they do not work except to DRANO your wallet. Lye was used too many years ago because it created heat to melt grease and soaps. Lately, it could be flushable wipes, or any other heavy paper including an accidental tampon got away from someone.

Yes, I was hoping to be able to do something simple, on my own since I kind of already feel a bit like a burden. But, I think you are right. I am unable to lift my head to look up and bending over is still too much pressure in my head. I can squat though, with an assist up. :D (an improvement from being wheelchair bound ;) )

I think I will ask for assistance from a more able bodied person and turn over all of the great input I have received here. Thank you, very much, for the information.

Angela M Moore

Reaction score
Gallons would imply that the clog was far along. Often a clog happens where the drain pipe switches from vertical to horizontal. I had a clog at such a spot. I sliced a section out of the drain pipe in the basement. I inserted a Brasscraft drain bladder, shoved it down so it would have been below the basement floor where the turn was make. The drain bladder is hooked to a garden hose.

After clearing the blockage, I put the cut-away section of pipe back with two flex couplers.

My drain pipe was against the basement wall, right under the kitchen sink and above my laundry tub.

I was afraid once I thought about it and realized I could put gallons in that it may be further along. So, the pipe will switch from vertical to horizontal underground? I don't think I could access without a professional. :/
Hopefully it doesn't come to that.
I will call a drain cleaning company tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buy this thing at Home Depot. Attach it to your drill. (read the directions first)

upload_2019-11-6_21-39-56.png

NDL

Reaction score
Thank you for clearing that up. It sounds kind of dangerous. :( No chance for some sort of fumes or or anything like that? Just burning from splash back?
Of all the things for this guy to use.... sounds like this was, quite possibly the worst.

I will post a picture semi shortly.

No...what the handyman used is appropriate for your clogged drain.

Whenever a person encounters something for the first time, it can sound confusing, costly, or dangerous. There's no magic shortcut to learning and obtaining knowledge :). After this experience is cleared up, you'll be able to pass along your knowledge to others :).

Someone suggested that your church help, and I think that's a great idea :).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks