I may have been Stupid /Spool style Pitless

Users who are viewing this thread

Fosterdave37

Reaction score
Ok so I may have done something stupid! After doing some grade work around my home my well casing was sticking out of the ground a good 30 inches. So figuring I had a normal pitless adapter I would just get the grinder out and cut some off (could not get the threaded cap off) so after cutting it off it would not lift off. looking inside I could see a 1" pipe. I figured it was a pull rod connected to the pitless. Then I got a flashlight and looked down the casing. I saw the pull pipe and what looked like a cover plate. After some research I found out I have a Baker/ Whitewater spool style pitless adapter. Now some details

I have a 2" well with a jet pump in the crawlspace. casing above the ground is 3"ID.

Now some of the spool pitless I saw on line had what they are calling a hold down rod that goes from the top of the pitless to some type of clamping device that goes up to the well cap. That's the 1" pipe that I see inside the casing and the reason the casing wont lift off.

What exactly does this hold down rod do? I thought that gravity and O rings held the pitless in. If I cut the hold down rod am I going to cause more problems then I've already made? Where do I go from here?

New to the forum Thanks for any advise!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
On some wells a hold-down rod is used to ensure that the pitless stays in space as the water level rising up can float the drop pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks