Recent content by Too Ambitious

1. Too Ambitious

Partitioning L-shaped room. Should I move a register?

Now, as is typical, I'm second guessing the jumper duct. The problem is that my attic is very tight. I don't think I could get 10" R-8 flex in there without completely blocking access to one side of the attic. R-6 is possible. Maybe 8" R-8 would be enough. It's not enough to cover the CFM of...
  2. Too Ambitious

The quote was for open cell. Will probably get a few more quotes. With closed cell, I could get R-38 without overfilling the rafter bays. That would let me use drywall as a thermal barrier instead of paying almost $1k for intumescent paint. I've also considered doing 2" of closed cell on the...
  3. Too Ambitious

I've read up on it. I'd go that route if I went with spray foam. I have a quote to remove all current insulation & spray foam the rafters & gable walls. If I DIY I'd keep the attic vented. It's a lot less complicated that way. Problem is I can't get to R-38 on the attic floor above the 1st...
  4. Too Ambitious

I think I am going to run rigid for the drop through the closet; flex only in the attic and crawl space. The main reason is to conserve as much closet space as possible. The closet is conditioned space, so I don't need insulation. I'm also going to throw a return in the that room while I'm at it...
  5. Too Ambitious

Here's my plan for the returns... In the left bedroom, I will put a return where the original register I moved is. I can easily drop this through a 1st floor closet down to the return trunk in the crawl space. I think I should use 8" flex for this given the 2 registers are 6". The right...
  6. Too Ambitious

Thanks. Should be pretty easy considering I have the attic access, and it's run with flex duct. Might not even need to replace the duct run. Right now the upstairs bedrooms get extremely hot if you keep the doors closed in summer. That's probably a combination of problems, return air being one...
  7. Too Ambitious

Currently I have 2 bedrooms on my 2nd floor that open straight off the stairway. One of them is L-shaped. I am partitioning that bedroom into a smaller square bedroom. I will cut the original wall against the stairs to a half wall to create a semi-open flex space. (It will be used as a playroom...
  8. Too Ambitious

Is this the sign of a leak? (cast iron pipe)

I fixed the dishwasher loop. Threw in an extra clamp on the back and twisted the hose where it connects to the disposal. Thanks for pointing that out. The previous switch was installed in a handy box inside the cabinet & the disposal was hard wired. Really inconvenient. I'm also a big fan of...
  9. Too Ambitious

Figured I'd come back and post a final, finished image. I wanted to put a dual valve on the hot line to clean up that nest of hoses on the left, but considering I'm coming back in a year or two and almost completely replumbing the house, it seemed like a waste of money. The temporary solution...
  10. Too Ambitious

Should a 2-3 year old disposal be this rusty already?

I just looked up the Consumer Reports rating on this model... yikes. I'll definitely upgrade whenever this kicks it. (I doubt it lasts much longer than 2 more years based on the "double the warranty" rule of thumb.) $40 more gets you their Consumer Reports' rated model, which has a 1-1/4 hp...
  11. Too Ambitious

Should a 2-3 year old disposal be this rusty already?

This is an Insinkerator Badger 5 mfg in 2019. I pulled this to redo my kitchen sink fixture drain and noticed how rusty it already is. Is this normal?
  12. Too Ambitious

Designing Expansion PEX Layout and Brands to Use

I'm also looking at a recirc pump whenever I get around to repiping. Two options I'm considering are: Dumb pump plugged into a smart outlet. Gives the most flexibility and best efficiency since it only runs when needed. Can be triggered with occupancy sensors, switches, scheduled, geofence...
  13. Too Ambitious

The infrastructure is done. Still have to finish plumbing under the sink, but I bought the wrong size shut off valves. (Need 3/8, bought 1/2.) I made a few mistakes in the glue up order that made my life a lot harder. Almost lost my whole trap adapter assembly due to a bad joint but managed to...
  14. Too Ambitious

New hybrid WH. Moving to converted carport's storage room. Where to drain condensate?

I just worry that it will void the warranty, even though Rheem shows it in their own videos.
  15. Too Ambitious

New hybrid WH. Moving to converted carport's storage room. Where to drain condensate?

Is there a reason it needs to be secured? How about strapping it to the water heater (which Rheem themselves show!!!!)? At the very least, that's up for interpretation. The NEC does not specifically say disconnects are subject to clearance requirements. There's been plenty of back-and-forth...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks