Recent content by PatrickM

1. PatrickM

Not quite bottomed ABS pipe

Yes. At the top of the second picture (and in the first, but it's fuzzy), you can see that it's got a bit more than that to go...maybe 1/8" or at most 1/4". After I posted, I realized that the fitting actually went on kind of diagonally...maybe the pipe wan't actually perfectly square. But...
  2. PatrickM

Thanks! ...I plan on measuring as I go. Is there a way to test these repairs after I've done them? I've got the ceiling open and plan on having it that way for a couple months. Is it sufficient to just use the toilet and see if it leaks?
  3. PatrickM

I'm replacing a closet flange and needed to cut back the existing 3" ABS horizontal pipe. I'm finding that I'm having trouble getting the fittings to insert all the way on the existing pipe. Here's my setup: exsting pipe connects to a coupler, coupler to new piece of 3" pipe, then 4x3 hub x...
  4. PatrickM

Plywood spacers to raise closet flange

Managed to get a Sioux Chief 884-ATMPK delivered within a reasonable period of time. So hopefully I won't ever have to worry about repairs.
  5. PatrickM

Good point. I'll check that before gluing.
  6. PatrickM

I can get them online (marketplace) but it's like a 2-4 week wait. All the houses up here use ABS flanges and (provided they're installed correctly) we don't seem to have issues with the flanges breaking. Worst case scenario, couldn't I get a stainless repair flange if it breaks?
  7. PatrickM

Thanks for the advice. Any thoughts on sealant between the plywood spacer rings and the tile?
  8. PatrickM

I'm replacing a closet flange that leaked horribly. The original flange was poorly installed: 1) it was attached to the subfloor rather than the finished floor (about 1" below the finished floor height) 2) the hole in the subfloor wasn't quite big enough so it was sitting on the flare...
  9. PatrickM

Options for toilet flange to 4" x 3" closet bend

Saw your earlier comment on the advantages of gluing in a pipe so you don't have to worry about the finished floor height. In this case, the finished floor is already there but it seems like the pipe would still give me more flexibility to get the right height. When the previous homeowners had...
  10. PatrickM

Apologies for the incorrect terminology. So, to clarify, I seem to only be able to find long sweep 90s and the vent 90s. I wonder if that's maybe because the Canadian codes don't allow the medium bend 90's in sanitary applications. Anyway I have to work with what I have access to so it's...
  11. PatrickM

I can't get the closet bends with the "spigot" input (i.e., one that has the same diameter as a 4" pipe on the wide end). I saw the Canplas quarter bend, but nobody seems to stock it around here. All the stores just have long sweep or the short 90. So I'm really stuck with just the 4x3 hub x...
  12. PatrickM

I can't seem to find the quarter bend / medium sweep up here either. We only have long sweep and the standard short bend. So the 4x3 closet bend is the only option.
  13. PatrickM

I'm replacing the toilet flange and bend in a floor framed with 2x8s. The existing horizontal pipe that connects to the stack is 3" diameter. In the area where I live, the only option for a suitable closet bend that will fit in the joist cavity is a 3" x 4" hub X hub closet bend, which seems...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks