Recent content by Oldyellr

1. Oldyellr

KitchenAid dishwasher error code

We've had a KitchenAid Model KDTE234GPS0 dishwasher for a couple of years. Best dishwasher we've ever owned, very quiet. Then we started noticing detergent powder left behind, dishes not as clean, finally not filling and washing and dirty water getting baked in the bottom. Checked for error...
  2. Oldyellr

Sump Pump Float Height

My previous pedestal sump pump had adjustable stops on the float rod, just like my original one. The Simer 3884 submersible pump I have now does not, it has a fixed differential of 3.5". There is/was also a 3994 model with a tethered switch and an 8" differential. Back in the day all such...
  3. Oldyellr

Sump Pump Float Height

So a pump with a tethered float. That's what I thought. I wonder why they even make sump pumps with non-adjustable vertical float switches that only have a 4" differential.
  4. Oldyellr

Sump Pump Float Height

I have another sump pump question. I replaced my pedestal sump pump 4-5 years ago with a submersible one. It works well, usually during long periods of heavy rainfall and during the spring thaw, like now. It hadn't run yet, but I was woken at 5 am by my water alarm because the sump had filled...
  5. Oldyellr

Smell when doing laundry

No, the top of the standpipe is 60" from the floor, so its length is 18". Also showing where the vent is in this picture. It was hard to tell where the smell was coming from. But given that what I drained out of the trap smelled, I would say it was the standpipe. Of course it does not smell...
  6. Oldyellr

Smell when doing laundry

You're right about the last of the water to drain when spinning will just be a dribble. So no tidal wave to empty the trap. What do you not see right in my photos? The standpipe for the washer drain was done by a licensed plumber when he added drains for a new toilet and shower upstairs...
  7. Oldyellr

Smell when doing laundry

I've browsed a lot of threads here concerning sewer smells, but still have no solution. When we do laundry we get a sewer smell. A week ago someone was here to quote us on an A/C system and he suggested it may be from a disintegrating anode rod in the gas water heater, which is about 10 years...
  8. Oldyellr

Replacing Outdoor Faucet (Frost Free Anti-Siphon)

Okay, first of all, I didn't have to worry about the exact length of the pipe because once I cut it, the part of the pipe in the house could be moved back and forth quite a lot. After I cut the pipe I pulled the faucet out of the wall to where I had access to the threaded connection and replaced...
  9. Oldyellr

One more question. When I cut the 1/2" copper pipe, how much do I have to cut off to keep the same length with a ShyarkBite coupling? Near as I can figure out from what I find on line is the coupling is 2", insertion depth 0.95", so I'd have to cut out 0.10". Am I right?
  10. Oldyellr

I'm no stranger to soldering copper pipe, been doing it for decades. Problem is, if I twist the copper, it may not be good for soldering or a SharkBite connector. No experience with with SharkBite, but it may be the safest thing to try.
  11. Oldyellr

I'm just going through the same thing, but copper pipe. Some years ago the faucet started to leak and I found the stem assembly tube was cracked. I bought a new faucet of the same type from Home Depot, but rather than trying to replace the whole thing, I just used the stem assembly from the new...
  12. Oldyellr

Moen shower cartridge retaining clip

I recently ordered a new acrylic shower knob on warranty and Moen also sent a new cartridge. But I messed up installing the new cartridge, it went in very hard and didn't work. It took a puller and lots of brute force to get it out, destroying it. Fortunately, I was able to reinstall the old...
  13. Oldyellr

Moen Shower Valve - Cartridge Removal Issue. Plastic Mounting Adapter in the way

I don't know why the escutcheon would have been caulked unless your shower enclosure is very irregular tile, they have a rubber gasket surface. All parts have a lifetime warranty and you can pick them u at your nearest Moen dealer, or contact them by email,takes a couple of weeks.
  14. Oldyellr

Moen shower cartridge retaining clip

If the retaining clip cannot be seated tilting it back and forth, maybe the cartridge is not in far enough. A buid-up of lime in the valve cavity could cause that. Try to clean it out with vinegar or Scotchbrite. Installing the clip for me is one of the more stressful parts, afraid I might drop...
  15. Oldyellr

Cracked Sewage Pump Basin

I do have a separate sump pump. It runs during heavy rain, during the spring runoff after the thaw and if the outside tap is leaking, which happened recently. The sewage basin is just for the downstairs bathroom and laundry tubs. The washing machine also used to drain into it, but we switched...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks