Sump Pump Float Height

Users who are viewing this thread

Jbro4079

Reaction score
So we bought a new build in June and we have a sump pump. The inlet pipes of the drain tile are 10” from top of basement slab to top of drain tile pipe. My question is, should I allow the tile pipes to fill before pumping or try to keep water below the inlets? If I go below the inlets it runs quite often right now as we are in a pretty wet area with a lot of clay and slow drainage and the pump float travel is not very much before activating the pump. Any advice would be appreciated as we are new to having a home with a sump pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can lengthen the tether by moving the cable in the clamp. Just make sure it will not hang up on something.

You might want to consider a battery powered alarm for if the level gets too high.

If you dangle the remotable Basement Watchdog alarm BWD-HWA sensor into the pit, will the humidity give a false positive? I don't know.

Remember to add that to your annual battery swap. 9V batteries are not my favorite.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I prefer to set the Pump float to activate just before the water level reaches the inlet. The less Ebb tide in the pipe the less sediment has a chance to build up.

Oldyellr

Reaction score
I have another sump pump question.

I replaced my pedestal sump pump 4-5 years ago with a submersible one. It works well, usually during long periods of heavy rainfall and during the spring thaw, like now. It hadn't run yet, but I was woken at 5 am by my water alarm because the sump had filled up and the pump had not kicked in. I shook the pipe which started the pump and it ran for a very long time while the weeping tile around the house emptied and the level dropped. I don't know why the pump didn't start, sticky switch or the float snagged by a dehumidifier drain hose. Whatever, today it's running fine, about 4 seconds every minute.

So here is my question. If I ever need to replace this pump (it's 1/2 HP 3000 GPM @ 10') would I be better off with with a tethered float switch or an external vertical float switch like I have now? My vertical float switch works on a differential level of 4" while a tethered float switch works with about twice that differential, which would double the run and interval time. Any pros and cons between the 2 types of switches? (My sewage pump has a tethered float switch, which works great.)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Keeping the pump running the longest period is best. So a float that is situated higher helps that.

Oldyellr

Reaction score
So a pump with a tethered float. That's what I thought. I wonder why they even make sump pumps with non-adjustable vertical float switches that only have a 4" differential.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Tethered floats can be problematic if the pump wanders around in the pit and the float gets stuck. I add blocking so a submersible cannot wander around. At one time I made the mistake of placing large smooth stones around the pump to keep it from wandering but the stones rubbed and wore a hole in the motor casing. I've had several submersible pumps fail due to water getting into the motor so I've switched to using a pedestal pump with adjustable vertical float. I set the float to start the pump when the water reaches the top of the perimeter drain pipe which gives me a longer run cycle with less frequency.

Gagecalman

Reaction score
I've had excellent results using a HydroCheck HC6000 "Hi-Lo Sump Pump Controller" with a manual pump. No floats to hang up and no mechanical switches to go bad. There are two sensors so you can set the on/off height where it works best for your situation and to reduce short cycling.

Reach4

Reaction score
So a pump with a tethered float. That's what I thought. I wonder why they even make sump pumps with non-adjustable vertical float switches that only have a 4" differential.
I had thought that the pedestal pumps had more adjustment than that. I have never been around them, but I figured there would be an adjustable stop below the float and another above the float.

Actually, I guess there could be a fixed stop below, and just an adjustable one above.

Oldyellr

Reaction score
My previous pedestal sump pump had adjustable stops on the float rod, just like my original one. The Simer 3884 submersible pump I have now does not, it has a fixed differential of 3.5". There is/was also a 3994 model with a tethered switch and an 8" differential.

Back in the day all such pumps were controlled by floats on a rod with stops. My original sewage pump from the 1970s had a mechanical float switch actuated by a rod with adjustable stops that eventually became unreliable. But I do like the earlier suggestion to employ an electronic sensor system like the HydroCheck HC6000. There are similar, less expensive systems like that, but still cost more than a basic sump pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks