Recent content by ngen33r

1. ngen33r

Cabinet over basement floor drain?

The house did have a sump pump at some point and it was removed and the hole cemented long before I bought the house. The floor drain does have a trap. It follows the path of the 3in line on the wall and it is connected to a 4in line about 6 feet to the left. I had that section redone because...
  2. ngen33r

Cabinet over basement floor drain?

I have a floor drain in the basement floor that I would like to put a countertop cabinet over. This was the drain used for the old utility sink. Knock on wood I have not had any flooding so it doesn't get much use. The line with the red cap is a cleanout for my footer drains, which is where the...
  3. ngen33r

Second Thinking Shower Waterproofing

I finished my rough in and pan install for my basement shower. The plan was to use HardiBacker and some form of membrane to seal it. I read that Hardi is a pain in the ass to apply anything to because of how absorbent it is, so I am thinking of taking those down and going a different route. I...
  4. ngen33r

Grade My PEX Install

All of my notches are 1.5in of wood before the 3in pipe. All of my 3/4 horizontal PEX runs are 3in minimum setback. I will still probably use nail guards on everything to be OCD. I will probably foam around the 3in pipe to fully secure the run as I left tolerance gaps to have some wiggle room...
  5. ngen33r

Grade My PEX Install

I made a reply a week or so back and it must not have stuck. The cap for the washer pipe is to keep the gases contained. I am going to put a AAV in the rim joist location in the ceiling until I redo the kitchen and can vent to the roof. I appreciate the info with the nail plates and securing...
  6. ngen33r

Grade My PEX Install

As stated, please have a look and give me some pointers on my PEX install.
  7. ngen33r

Shower Rough In Questions

Thank You for the quick reply. I will follow that advice and secure the supply lines with sufficient bends and add additional support for the diverter valve. I will post an image when complete for future reference for others.
  8. ngen33r

Shower Rough In Questions

I am starting to run the supply and lines to my basement bathroom remodel. I am using a mix of PEX and Copper as needed. My valve is PEX feed and that helps in this scenario, because I have a bend behind the floor joist that cannot easily be soldered. Sure I could notch out the top plate for the...
  9. ngen33r

Insulating Around Basement Windows

What about the top of the blocks and rim joist area? Is a foam kit enough if I overlap the top of the PolyIso or should I use a PolyIso topper and then foam to fill?
  10. ngen33r

Just venting because the cmu walls aren't square and its making the framing that is supposed to hold the poly iso against the wall have gaps of 1/4in - 1/2in in some places. Not sure if that is acceptable. Do I need to foam the gaps? I also installed the foil side facing in so the foil tape is...
  11. ngen33r

One last question the foil face against the wall or facing inside the basement?
  12. ngen33r

Problem solved. HD sells PolyIso for the same price as XPS. They just don't clearly mark it. I exchanged the XPS for 1in PolyIso R6.5 and grabbed some foil tape. Back to work now.
  13. ngen33r

I will switch over to eps also since my ceiling is only 82in can I use the 14in scraps between the studs and foam them in place? That would give me R10 above grade 4 foot down the wall. I know I will have some thermal leakage through the studs but in my mind it sounds like it will be a good...
  14. ngen33r

Would that be only for the winter months? I open the windows frequently during the summer months. I would also think that the plexi would condensate when it is cold. and damage the drywall.
  15. ngen33r

I am starting to insulate the basement and frame the walls. I am in Zone 5 so I am using R-5 XPS on the walls and I will do R15 paper backed fiberglass inbetween the studs. I am gluing the seams with PL300 vs taping. I may tape the seams after but not sure if I will need to. I have glass block...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks