Shower Rough In Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

ngen33r

Reaction score
I am starting to run the supply and lines to my basement bathroom remodel. I am using a mix of PEX and Copper as needed. My valve is PEX feed and that helps in this scenario, because I have a bend behind the floor joist that cannot easily be soldered. Sure I could notch out the top plate for the wall, but I would rather not unless I have to.

I have 3 questions.

Is it acceptable to loop the supply and maintain a minimum 5in radius or should I crimp a brass 90 for the bend? This applies for both the supply and white line that will feed a 2nd shower head. My thoughts are to minimize the connection points. I have a good ring crimper and a go/no go gauge to check all the crimps.

The wall is an outside wall and I have 1in PolyIso against DryLoc painted Cinder Block and I want to fill the cavity with R13 (3in partition wall) Will I have potential mold issues with pipe sweating and insulation if I use unbacked insulation?

I have the 2 way diverter sweated to the main valve. The valve did not come with a mounting bracket, but it does have mounting holes. Do I need to add a 2x4 behind it with some nylon standoffs to secure the diverter valve?

20200203_185646.jpg 20200203_185712.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, you can bend the PEX
It would be a good idea to make sure the valve is solid before closing things up.
PEX doesn't sweat, and nobody worries about it in the wall anyway, even for copper.

ngen33r

Reaction score
Thank You for the quick reply. I will follow that advice and secure the supply lines with sufficient bends and add additional support for the diverter valve. I will post an image when complete for future reference for others.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks