Recent content by Fragille Bill

1. Fragille Bill

Another Question about Bathroom Sink with Overflow

Just a follow-up... the picture below is looking down through the sink drain hole. The sink drain hole is about 2 inches deep and you can see the overflow hole. Let's say there's about 3/4 inches of sink drain above the overflow hole and 3/4 inches below it. The drain assembly does not fit...
  2. Fragille Bill

Yes, that was my worry. But after considering the advice from you and the others who responded, I feel that I'm making much ado about nothing. Attached is a picture of my new drain complete with overflow holes. John Gayewski, Jeff H Young, Reach 4... thanks for your help!
  3. Fragille Bill

I would seal the overflow because I don't need it. Sealing the overflow would prevent a splash of water from entering the overflow channel. If water cannot enter the overflow channel, then I can use a drain/tailpiece with no overflow holes. A drain/tailpiece with no overflow holes means that...
  4. Fragille Bill

Thank you for your response. The sink in my second bathroom has no overflow. I tested it and it drains fine. I also tested the sink I am working on (the sink with an overflow) by sealing the overflow with packing tape. It also drained fine. So I still haven't found a reason not to install a...
  5. Fragille Bill

There are numerous drains on Amazon right now that can be purchased with overflow or without overflow. I don't understand your second sentence. If I install a drain without overflow holes, do a good putty job under the flange, and seal the sink overflow so that a splash of water cannot enter...
  6. Fragille Bill

Thank you for your response. I'm having no trouble in finding drains available with no overflow holes. If a little water does splash into the sink overflow hole, it seems like it would drain into the same place that water ends up when it escapes out the drain overflow holes: the space below the...
  7. Fragille Bill

If I use a drain with no overflow holes, it would be to keep drain water from escaping out the overflow holes and sitting below the overflow holes and above the rubber gasket where it can stink. I'm trying to learn if there is any drawback to what seems to be a cleaner way to plumb the drain...
  8. Fragille Bill

Thanks for your reply. How would water get into the overflow cavity if I don't overflow the sink?
  9. Fragille Bill

I assume the black gunk below the overflow holes and above the rubber gasket is the result of drain water getting out through the overflow holes. What problems will it cause if I replace this drain with one that has no holes for overflow, other than the obvious problem of the bathroom flooding...
  10. Fragille Bill

Old faucet has flat mounting nuts - how to remove?

That's what I figured. I sent this question to Delta a couple days ago but have not yet received a response. I've seen a Husky adjustable plumbers' wrench that might work, but I can't try the wrench without removing the copper tubing supply lines first. Maybe I could get it out from the top with...
  11. Fragille Bill

Old faucet has flat mounting nuts - how to remove?

My bathroom faucet is a Delta/Delex widespread installed in the late 70's (photo attached). It works fine but I would like to replace it if I can remove it. The issue is the hexagonal mounting nuts on the underside. They are almost flat, no more than 1/8 of an inch deep (photo attached). There...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks