Recent content by Clutchcargo

1. Clutchcargo

How to bury an empty septic tank?

The 1000 gallon tank pumped every 2 years puts your daily discharge at 1.4 gallons. How are you going to manage with that little? We had our 1000 septic tank pumped and it took about 10 days for my wife and I to bring the level back up.
  2. Clutchcargo

How to bury an empty septic tank?

What the old system was is in fact a very simple one pipe septic drain field. A new drain field with design and testing should cost about $5k. This would depend on any land improvements. We just did this in Vermont. Not sure if you would be opening a can of worms though.
  3. Clutchcargo

Using poly pipe as conduit for pex.

The back story is that we're setting up a coffee roasting business out of our house in a relatively new but unfinished garage. We need hot water for daily cleaning of everything. Plus and more importantly, the health inspector will be checking the water temps. The original plan was to put a...
  4. Clutchcargo

Thanks, the construction pro was a heavy machine operator that installs septic drain fields. I assumed that he had the credentials to accomplish this but I was wrong. This pipe is typically used for well pumps I think he over his skis on a basic plumbing task.
  5. Clutchcargo

Thanks all. Is there something that I can lubricate the poly with to minimize the friction between the pipes that will not interact with the plastics? If this doesn't work for whatever reason, I don't want to damage the poly as it would be the last resort to get water to the garage.
  6. Clutchcargo

The contractor installed water lines from the house and a drain to the house. He talked a good game and I thought that he knew what he was doing but hindsight 20/20. The first problem that I noticed was that he did the drain pipes incorrectly. The problem was that the pipe needed to be sleeved...
  7. Clutchcargo

I'm running hot and cold water to our garage from the house. The house is about 14' away from the garage. Is it possible to push or pull 1/2" pex thru the poly pipe? I already have two 1" poly pipes in place for this purpose but 1/2" is a lot less volume for the hot water line and I'm a bit...
  8. Clutchcargo

Pressure elbow in place of DWV fitting

True, but it's not just for me... it's for the future owners of my house. I'd hate to bequeath a known plumbing problem to the next owners.
  9. Clutchcargo

Thanks all, the upsetting part is that I had this conversation with him before he did any work. He understood that I wanted a long 90 and the reason why. I don't know if he thought I wouldn't check and the pressure 90s are all he had in the truck or what. Another issue is that this was to be...
  10. Clutchcargo

Follow up: VT is under IPC code. It looks like short sweep 90 is allowable on 2" or less pipe size. Pressure 90 looks about the same as a short 90. Doesn't seem like a good idea though.
  11. Clutchcargo

We're running water and drain between out house and a detached garage. The drain entails a 2" waste line from the garage to tie into existing house drain. It's real simple, the pipe-run is only about 12'-13'; starting in the house --> thru the house foundation --> trench --> thru garage...
  12. Clutchcargo

venting distances

There's more to it than simply distance from the stack... What's above this in the stack?
  13. Clutchcargo

Atmospheric water heater venting

The boiler is 15 yo, it's just a conventional boiler but still in good shape and runs clean. Never had any issues with it, but there's really nothing that can go wrong with it. Good point with the hybrid, One service call negates any efficiency gains. If the WH were up against an exterior wall...
  14. Clutchcargo

Thanks all, It sounds like bumping up the 3" vent to 4" will help. I checked the function of the damper in the window, seems OK, it's not binding, maybe get a bigger one. Maybe I'm approaching this wrong. What are your thoughts on hybrid WHs?
  15. Clutchcargo

Sorry for the omission. Basement height is 78 inches. The windows themselves are never opened... just the 6" round damper allows air in. The water heater conx is 4' before it joins the 6" boiler vent. From there it's a straight shot up the chimney maybe 26-27 feet to the top of the chimney cap...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks