Toilet base water coming out and caulk came out. who to call?

Users who are viewing this thread

Questions1

Reaction score
This is the powder room toilet.

The thick caulk has come out and bits of water coming out and little bit of odor as well. I am not good at these. call plumber or handyman? How much should this cost? Is this a new caulk needed that will fix or this is a lot more work ?
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2348.jpg
    IMG_2348.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 59

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Plumber would pull the toilet and reset w/new wax
If you want to cover the bases, a bench test can be set up to check for porcelain leaks before resetting, but, you will pay a lot more for a bench test.

Questions1

Reaction score
The plumber came and found the following problem and fixed for $850 and gave $850 check. Told me he gave me extra $100 discount cos usual price is $950. File upload isn’t working so it is flange replacement cast iron hangs installed , toilet reset , new bolts and way ring . Toilet caulk all for $850. On the main bathroom toilet . Down there on the left small part is missing . The white cap is not screwing and not staying on tight . What do I need? I told him to take care of it but told me has no time .

Last edited:

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Without pics it's not possible to say if the flange is bad (it needs to securely contain the bolts that hold down the toilet)

If you had a handyman, he would charge less than a plumber would (this doesn't really require a plumber's skill set).

I had the same problem and bought a repair kit at the local Depot. Here's a video similar to what I installed. This is something you can do yourself if you're at least a bit handy. If not, a handyman certainly can.

Good luck.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
unacceptable he needs to return and fix that cap, B.S . on no time for it. not that big a deal but to refuse to fix is absurd

Questions1

Reaction score
After I texted him again to ask him what’s needed he said for the other toilet I need new floor bolt set . Don’t they carry bowl floor bolt set with them ? This wasn’t the part of his job that we agreed to but I thought it is a quick few mins job but told me he doesn’t have something like he doesn’t have this part and that he has no time for this

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
schedule him to return have another check handy . sounds like this is another toilet so i guess thats how it goes

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
After I texted him again to ask him what’s needed he said for the other toilet I need new floor bolt set . Don’t they carry bowl floor bolt set with them ?

A plumber would carry the "closet bolts" for toilets on their truck, yes. At least a professional would. But this might be a good thing - read on Macduff (with apologies to WS).

Replacing those bolts requires the toilet to be removed - essentially the same job as he performed on your other toilet, so figure it's going to cost you $350 for him to replace the bolts ( plus you need a new wax ring every time the toilet is removed), and that's assuming the flange under your second toilet is good. If that flange is also rusted out, you're going to need another $850 for your plumber

This is a 30 minute job and if I lived near you I'd do it for a good cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin. If you know a good handyman, I'd have him change those bolts for you and replace the wax ring. This is an easy procedure that doesn't require a good plumber's skill.

John

Questions1

Reaction score
A plumber would carry the "closet bolts" for toilets on their truck, yes. At least a professional would. But this might be a good thing - read on Macduff (with apologies to WS).

Replacing those bolts requires the toilet to be removed - essentially the same job as he performed on your other toilet, so figure it's going to cost you $350 for him to replace the bolts ( plus you need a new wax ring every time the toilet is removed), and that's assuming the flange under your second toilet is good. If that flange is also rusted out, you're going to need another $850 for your plumber

This is a 30 minute job and if I lived near you I'd do it for a good cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin. If you know a good handyman, I'd have him change those bolts for you and replace the wax ring. This is an easy procedure that doesn't require a good plumber's skill.

John
This
Everbilt

1/4 in. × 3-1/2 in. Snap-Off Design Toilet Bowl-To-Floor Bolt Set
requires the whole toilet removed new ring flange and another $850? Pls let me know

Reach4

Reaction score
requires the whole toilet removed new ring flange and another $850? Pls let me know
New bolts probably, and definitely new wax. Whether a new flange, or repair ring, is needed, that is unknown until the toilet is lifted.

Questions1

Reaction score
New bolts probably, and definitely new wax. Whether a new flange, or repair ring, is needed, that is unknown until the toilet is lifted.
The toilet has to be removed for this ? Another easy $350 or $850 like I paid for the powder room toilet ? I thought I just put the screws on and put the white cap and thought it is a 2 mins job

Reach4

Reaction score
The toilet has to be removed for this ? Another easy $350 or $850 like I paid for the powder room toilet ? I thought I just put the screws on and put the white cap and thought it is a 2 mins job
Assuming the flange is intact, that would be considerably cheaper than the one where you needed a new cast iron flange-- at least that is what I think you said was needed on the first one.

But even with a good flange, I would expect the toilet would need to be lifted to simply replace the bolts. The heads of the T-head bolts would not fit thru the hole in the toilet base.

What causes you to think that the closet bolts need to be replaced? That could be that you lifted the decorative cap, and the nut and part of the old bolt came up. If your symptom is something else, what is your symptom? New bolts should be brass to avoid rusting.

Lifting and restoring a toilet is usually not a big deal.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
This
Everbilt

Yes, the toilet has to be removed to replace the bolts. Since your plumber quoted $350 for replacing the wax ring on your other toilet, expect to pay him $350 for this job because the wax ring *must* be replaced every time the bowl is removed. The $350 your plumber charges is for removing the toilet, replacing the wax ring, and replacing the hardware. Again, the toilet MUST be removed to replace the bolts, and we're assuming the flange on the second toilet is OK for the $350 charge.

Did you watch that video I posted above?

BUT! If he pulls the second toilet off to replace those bolts and finds the flange rusted out in the same way your powder room toilet was, then we know that your plumber will charge you $850 for this job. Unfortunately, there's no way to find out if the flange that holds the bolts down is good or bad until the toilet is removed.

You said you could call a handyman, do you know one? Or do you have a handy neighbor who could do it for a pizza and six pack? This is not a difficult job, only messy.

John

EDIT: regarding the bolts - they do not screw in from the top and attach to the sub floor or flange. The bolts are anchored into the flange under the toilet. The toilet is then lowered over the bolts and set down. The nuts are then threaded onto the new bolts and gently tightened down. Because the bolts are anchored into the flange, the toilet must be removed.

Here's how the bolts are attached: go to 8:25 of the video to watch the bolts being attached to the flange.

Last edited:

Questions1

Reaction score
This is what the plumber texted me I need to fix the other toilet. But as you said toilet needs to be removed new wax installed and something handyman or another plumber has to do. so he lied to me saying all I need is this in the screenshot?

Attachments

• httpswww.homedepot.compEverbilt-1-4-in-x-3-1-2-in-Snap-Off-Design-Toilet-Bowl-To-Floor-Bolt-S...jpeg
    httpswww.homedepot.compEverbilt-1-4-in-x-3-1-2-in-Snap-Off-Design-Toilet-Bowl-To-Floor-Bolt-S...jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 52

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
This is what the plumber texted me I need to fix the other toilet. But as you said toilet needs to be removed new wax installed and something handyman or another plumber has to do. so he lied to me saying all I need is this in the screenshot?

I won't say lying because I don't know how the conversation went.

But to be absolutely crystal clear, the closet bolts in your picture which are used to hold down the toiler to the flange cannot be installed without removing the toilet. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. So yes, that means in order to install those bolts, the toilet is removed, the wax ring is replaced (they are not reusable) and the new closet bolts get installed into the flange (assuming it's good), and the toilet is reset and the nuts put on the bolts and tightened down. The caulk around the base of the toilet is optional and not required.

So with your current plumber, we know that $350 is his minimum charge for pulling the toilet and if he finds the flange is shot like your other toilet in the powder room was, then you're going to spend the $850 based on his last bill.

Those are your two options with your current plumber. The other option is to use a handyman who would certainly charge less.

Good luck.

John

Questions1

Reaction score
I won't say lying because I don't know how the conversation went.

But to be absolutely crystal clear, the closet bolts in your picture which are used to hold down the toiler to the flange cannot be installed without removing the toilet. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. So yes, that means in order to install those bolts, the toilet is removed, the wax ring is replaced (they are not reusable) and the new closet bolts get installed into the flange (assuming it's good), and the toilet is reset and the nuts put on the bolts and tightened down. The caulk around the base of the toilet is optional and not required.

So with your current plumber, we know that $350 is his minimum charge for pulling the toilet and if he finds the flange is shot like your other toilet in the powder room was, then you're going to spend the $850 based on his last bill.

Those are your two options with your current plumber. The other option is to use a handyman who would certainly charge less.

Good luck.

JohnI texted them sent them DM on social media, no reply. I wrote a review out of frustration.. within like 5 mins of publishing the review, i get a call from the same guy that fixed my toilet. We went back and forth and I read to him what you wrote above. He told me all I need is the Nut, not the entire bolt and toilet don't need removed and told me why I want to waste money blah blah. He told me he can send someone to look at and remove the toilet and charge me $350 for the ring or $850 for the flange but little discount this time . so is et up an appointment for tomorrow

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
goods luck all we can do is belive you but you dont sound knowledgeable at all so cant depend on accurate info . Truly you know the differance between a bolt and a nut right?

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
JohnI texted them sent them DM on social media, no reply. I wrote a review out of frustration.. within like 5 mins of publishing the review, i get a call from the same guy that fixed my toilet. We went back and forth and I read to him what you wrote above. He told me all I need is the Nut, not the entire bolt and toilet don't need removed and told me why I want to waste money blah blah. He told me he can send someone to look at and remove the toilet and charge me $350 for the ring or $850 for the flange but little discount this time . so is et up an appointment for tomorrow

If the nuts are still threaded to the bolts, then leave it as-is as long as the toilet isn't rocking. If the toilet is rocking or seems to move around at all, then you can tighten the nuts a just a bit (don't go nuts - pun intended - because overtightening them can crack the toilet base). But if the nuts are failing, there's a good chance the closet bolts are as well, and if they're failing, there's a good chance the flange is rotted out.

The problem is that we aren't there to see what you need and can only go on what you are saying.

So the question is why do you think the nuts need to be replaced?

John

Questions1

Reaction score
goods luck all we can do is belive you but you dont sound knowledgeable at all so cant depend on accurate info . Truly you know the differance between a bolt and a nut right?
Bolt is the long screw and Nut is the round one that goes on top of the Bolt right?

I am just going by what I am learning from you guys from your answers. The plumber said all I need is a Nut and no need to remove the toilet. Now the guy didn't properly look at the 2nd toilet, he gave a quick look after saying he doesn't have time . later today when I asked him why he ignored my concern on this 2nd toilet, he said all I need is Nut. I believe though not sure than rings and probably the flange is rotten and rusted once he removes the toilet and they may need replacement too.

Questions1

Reaction score
If the nuts are still threaded to the bolts, then leave it as-is as long as the toilet isn't rocking. If the toilet is rocking or seems to move around at all, then you can tighten the nuts a just a bit (don't go nuts - pun intended - because overtightening them can crack the toilet base). But if the nuts are failing, there's a good chance the closet bolts are as well, and if they're failing, there's a good chance the flange is rotted out.

The problem is that we aren't there to see what you need and can only go on what you are saying.

So the question is why do you think the nuts need to be replaced?

John
there was no nut, just the bolt is visible on the right hand side. maybe this is why the white cover is not staying on

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 53
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks