Iron Filter Recharge causing air bubbles in Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Hecubus

Reaction score
Just when I think I have this system figured out.

I have my AIO system set to recharge every 3 days. It automatically recharges at night. The next morning I get a ton of air in my lines. To get rid of the air I would just manually recycle the system. Everything was good till the next scheduled recharge.

Now when I manually run the recycle I am getting air bubbles in my toilet from the drain. This occurs during the discharge phase.

So what now?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Now when I manually run the recycle I am getting air bubbles in my toilet from the drain.
How is the AIO drain connected to the home sewer/septic system?

As the AIO iron filter system contains potable water, to prevent cross-contamination, the filter drain should not be connected directly to the house drain system. An air gap device is required to keep the filter drain separated from the house drain while directing the discharge into the drain without splashing and causing water damage.

As there is an actual 'air gap' between the two systems, any air being discharged from the AIO system will then vent at the air gap and not flow with the liquid discharge into the home's drain system.

Hecubus

Reaction score
I do not have an "air gap". My drain line plugs directly into the house sewage line. And I've honestly never heard of an "air gap" till you mentioned it. My AIO is in the basement with the sewage line overhead. I have to keep researching it, but any suggestions to install an "air gap" with the overhead sewage line?

Bannerman

Reaction score
You may want to look for an alternate location to drain your AIO system. With your current configuration, there is potential for sewage to flow back into the AIO filter, which would contaminate water processed by the filter, including drinking water.

Common alternate drain locations include a laundry standpipe, utility sink, washroom, or a basement floor drain. As the AIO drain is pressurized, the drain run length can often be extended if necessary, but when extending the length, it is usually necessary to increase the pipe diameter to minimize frictional flow restriction.

When using a floor drain, a simple air gap is often built by fastening a short length of 2X4 to the floor directly beside the floor drain opening. The AIO drain line is then fastened to the top of the lumber with the open end extended directly over the floor drain, thereby keeping the tube's open end 1.5" or more above the floor drain. A standard minimum air gap distance is 2X the diameter of the AIO drain line but the gap may be greater.

With your current drain setup, the toilet is likely closer than the stack vent is to where the AIO is connected to the sewage line, so air discharged from the AIO drain is venting itself through the toilet.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
A dishwasher air gap drains are available everywhere and low cost. You might be able to adapt this near your iron remover and drain. May have to fashion a bracket.

dishwasher-air-gap-bw.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
If the iron treatment is actually making water burp through the big exit hole in the toilet, then there is more problem than just the lack of an air gap. That would mean the venting for the house was messed up.

Air in the supply lines, including the supply to the toilet, is normal for AIO.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks