Zone will not shut down

Users who are viewing this thread

ronnieray

Reaction score
Ran my system today and when it got to the final zone, it did not shut down even though the control box showed the zone to be off. Otherwise, the system work flawlessly. The valves are toro flo pro ( I know not the best but were in when we purchased the home 12 years ago). I suspect a bad solenoid but thought I would check here to see if the pros have different ideas for a fix. Thanks

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
I would look at the diaphram before looking at the solonoid. It could be material not letting the diaphram re-seat or a worn diaphram. For twelve years, I would remove the entire top of the valve and replace with a new one of the same design (if you can get it).

If you can't find someone that has a Flo Pro, you might want to consider replacing the entire Valve instead of just the diaphram. Toro discontinued production of the Flo Pro valve several years ago. Most of the problems with the Flow Pro were that they wouldn't come on.

Mick

Last edited:

ronnieray

Reaction score
Thanks Fireguy97. I talked to toro and they still have replacement parts available from local distributors. But if its like everything else, I would imagine I can buy new valve cheaper than replacing the entire top. I will look for debris and check the diaphragm. I have a new one that Toro sent me free a few years ago. I hope it works for a fix because replacing the valve looks like a real pain. The box has three valves and this one is in the most inaccessible position. Isn't this always the case ....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You can buy a new valve cheaper, but installing it can be a real hassel, which is why repairing the valve is a better option when possible. A bad diaphragm, unless the "bypass" port is clogged, will usually not turn on. If it doesn't turn off, it usually means the solenoid is not seating to close the pressure relief passage.

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
You can buy a new valve cheaper, but installing it can be a real hassel, which is why repairing the valve is a better option when possible. A bad diaphragm, unless the "bypass" port is clogged, will usually not turn on. If it doesn't turn off, it usually means the solenoid is not seating to close the pressure relief passage.
That's why I suggested to purchase a new valve (of the same design), and replace the entire top. Solinoid, diaphram, spring, etc. This way you get the benifits of a new valve without the PITA hassel of changing out the entire valve.

And a bad diaphram can cause the zone to continue running. If the diaphram is cracked or torn, it won't seat properly and water will continue to run.

Mick

ronnieray

Reaction score
I thought it best to update on my valve problem. It turned out that it wasn't the diaphragm, but debris in the small passages between the solenoid and the valve body. After a good cleaning and reassembly the zone turned on and shut off as it is supposed to.

I will take the advice given and purchase new valves of the same model while they are still available. The idea of using the new parts to refurbish the existing valves is one that I will take to heart. I dreaded the idea of digging out the existing valves since the box is in a flower bed. And the refurbish option didn't occur to me. So thanks everyone for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks