Yet another mystery leak post

Users who are viewing this thread

mwmosser

Reaction score
Tell us about that locating process. I assume you watched with great interest.

I would consider putting some copper sulfate crystals around that pipe to make roots find the area distasteful. https://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-32-oz-Root-Kill-ZROOT24/100074551
I like that idea. What little I know of copper sulfite solution is that it goes INSIDE the pipe? You're saying I can put right in the ground around the pipe? That would save me from having the tree ripped out by my landscaping company and costing me more $$$.

mwmosser

Reaction score
MWMOSSER >>>> Just a question out of curiosity ...... Can you get to your water heater from the other side ?
My water heater is in an upstairs closet with very limited access. But that turned out to be not the problem, which is great. It's 11 months old and well cared-for so at least I'm not worried about that for awhile.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
My water heater is in an upstairs closet with very limited access. But that turned out to be not the problem, which is great. It's 11 months old and well cared-for so at least I'm not worried about that for awhile.
That's the tank in your pictures ?
You say "well cared for" ...... Does that mean you change the anode rod every few years and flush the sediment ?

mwmosser

Reaction score
Tell us about that locating process. I assume you watched with great interest.
Went with Rooter-Man Austin over a dedicated leak-detection company because Rooter-Man reviews said they could detect and fix in one go. Technician arrived around 09:30. After examining the fittings in the house, and determining no leak there, he began investigating places outside where a leak might exist. He suspected it was a cracked fitting where the main line connects to the house line, and he was right. But he had to work for it! The line was not where he expected (on the side of the house) but rather right in front, with the connector cracked about a foot before a manifold to take around the side of the house. The leak was small, and the pipe was buried 2 feet down, not the normal 12 to 18 inches. He used a probe with earphones to isolate the running water (or more accurately to find the line). Without the probe, it would have been impossible to spot the leak since it was so deep there was no wet spot in the yard. Probably been slowly leaking for up to a year - I started noticing higher bills around this time last year but chalked up to COVID causing us to spend more time at home.

Once the leak was discovered, the tech got to work fixing it, which took a while because he had to be extra careful of the gas line buried in the same trench as the water line (grrr). Then the fitting was almost impossible to get off, requiring some clever use of a propane blowtorch. Finally it was fixed with a "Chicago loop" style fitting to allow for some flex. He tested everything before filling the hole and we flushed the lines. After turning off the water valves, we checked again - no leaks. The leak indicator is not spinning at all.

Job finished at 12:30. Cost was not cheap but in line with Austin prices. I had no expectations except I knew it would be pricey, and it was. Should pay off in 12-18 months with reduced water bills.

mwmosser

Reaction score
That's the tank in your pictures ?
You say "well cared for" ...... Does that mean you change the anode rod every few years and flush the sediment ?
Not my tank in the other photos. Sediment flushed every six months and will change anode rod in a year or two.

This is my tank.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 170

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
OK ... Sorry for my confusion.
( Ever wonder why warranties are usually six years? First year 100% and just the tank for the next five )

heybeats

Reaction score
Found the leak! Junction from the city to the house line had a crack due to roots from a tree nearby. Line is buried deep (2 feet) and would never have found the leak but had Rooter-Man Austin use sound probe to find. Repaired and all seems OK now. Had to spend a decent amount to find/fix it, but better to fix a small leak than a big one. Will sleep better from here on out.

Looks like he got to the root of the problems (pun intended - sorry had to say it =P)

heybeats

Reaction score
Not my tank in the other photos. Sediment flushed every six months and will change anode rod in a year or two.

This is my tank.
Also noticed your water circulation pump. I got the same one as well (Watts). Best money I spent. Not sure why I didn't put one in years ago.

As a suggestion, I would recommend you to install a shut off where the water line enters your house. That way you are not having to go outside and shut off the water. In the event you are not home, someone can quickly shut the water off from the inside instead of trying to figure out how to shut it off outside.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also noticed your water circulation pump. I got the same one as well (Watts). Best money I spent. Not sure why I didn't put one in years ago.

As a suggestion, I would recommend you to install a shut off where the water line enters your house. That way you are not having to go outside and shut off the water. In the event you are not home, someone can quickly shut the water off from the inside instead of trying to figure out how to shut it off outside.

I like the idea on shut off valve. We have a lot of homes here where shut off is in garage (with hose bib) I don't want my hose in Garage and if neighbor sees water flowing out front door just might close valve if he can find it.
cold climates it will freeze never been back east or in cold areas much but that's why shutoff in basement

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks