Could this be a leak? Help on what to do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Mj23

Reaction score
Recently had a slab leak under the floor in the kitchen. Leak was fixed and concrete poured. The plumber assured me that there were no other leaks. However, he did not do a pressure test.

I have noticed that the leak indicator dial on the water meter spins slowly back-and-forth, which I know can be seen with pressure fluctuations. However, when I check the reading at night before I go to bed and again when I wake up, I see that 0.5 gallons have been consumed in a seven hours. This is with all of the valves to the toilets shut off and also with the icemaker shut off.

Could this be another leak? If the leak is that small, half a gallon in seven hours, can it even be found?

should I chase this, or wait and see what happens?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Check your toilets. Flappers wear out and the water in the tank level drops low enough the fill valve opens for a second or two, maybe a few ounces at a time but 24/7. Check that the water does not go past the overflow tube in the tank.

Flush the toilet and wait until the fill valve closes and water flow stops. Add food coloring to the tank, if no food coloring, anything that adds color like grape juice.

If the bowl water turns color after some time, it's the flapper.

Last edited:

Mj23

Reaction score
Would that be possible even with the water supply line to all the toilets turned off?

Reach4

Reaction score
1. After the toilet has been sitting, and you look under the tank lid, how is the water level compared to the top of the overflow tube?

2. If you turn off the toilet water at the stop valve on the wall, what happens to the level of the water in the tank overnight (or other period of time that matches your needs).

3. Followup -- What were you asking with "Would that be possible even with the water supply line to all the toilets turned off?" Water use by the toilet should stop when the stop valve for the toilet is closed. If your water meter shows flow in that situation, either the stop valve is bad, or the leak is something other than that toilet.

Mj23

Reaction score
1. Not sure
2. Stays the same.
3. Ok. Assuming that the stop valves are working fine, then toilets are not the issue.

My question is:

Can 0.5 gallon usage in a 7 hour period be explained by something other than a small leak, for example, having an expansion tank with the water heater or pressure fluctuations in the main line?

Mj23

Reaction score
I mean, should I call leak detection for something that small, or just wait and see what happens.

Reach4

Reaction score
0.5 gallons in 7 hours is not a lot. If you don't find it readily, ignore it.

"for example, having an expansion tank with the water heater or pressure fluctuations in the main line?"
If the expansion tank is bad or undersized, you could lose some water out of the T&P drain. Or the T&P valve could leak a bit. Put a container under that pipe to collect any leakage.

Mj23

Reaction score
OK, thank you. Will keep an eye on it for now, maybe check it weekly and see if there’s any change. Will update as needed.

Just a little concerned, because I know that when you have had one leak, you are likely to have more.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
water meter reading to my experiance down to a half gallon a day is getting small. you need to eliminate possibilitys, starting at meter is the piping above ground or going across the yard is there any irrigation ? then you have all the possibilitys mentioned by others. I wouldnt say if you have one leak its likely you have more but of cource its possible and that you have a leak could be anywhere . Ill tell you I cant confirm the accuracy of a meter over 7 hours would be true .
Plumber probebly thinks he got it but if you are willing to pay someone can do more testing .
Just thought of another easy test that might apply close a main shut off at the house and observe meter reading if meter reading still changes then the problem isnt in or under the house . Assuming meter is out by the street

Mj23

Reaction score
OK. Valve to the irrigation system is shut off. All toilet valves are shut off before I take my readings.

Getting about half a gallon usage in seven hours overnight as I mentioned.

Plumber did not do a pressure gauge drop test. I can do one myself, but, even if it is positive, it is probably going to be very hard to find at this rate, since it could be anywhere.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Currently you havent ruled out any of your system from being bad. The meter I dont belive is made to provide accurate readings.
BTW closing a valve to irigation thats not on top condition dosent mean the valve wont pass a quart of water in 7 hours .

Do you have an ice maker?

Mj23

Reaction score
Icemaker is off. Valve to the icemaker is also off. Irrigation valves are off. Valves to all of the toilets are off. Valve to the water heater is on. Main shut off valve on the street is on.

Mj23

Reaction score
If the meter reading over seven hours is not accurate then how do I know if I have a leak, other than seeing water in the walls or ceilings, or anywhere else? I don’t have any visible signs of water intrusion.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Something we may have mentioned shut the main off where it enters the house (presumeably meter is out at street) if that valve actually closes solid and the "leak " stops then its withen the building if it still leaks then the leak is out in the yard.
Im just guessing that meter is at street and you have an underground pipe feeding the building . its also possible meter is at the house . have you ever spoke to a leak detection company? not just billy bob but a guy that specializes in part with this aspect.
throwing a few ideas out this aint exact science solving problems with bits of info, I dont know if any of your shut offs are good either.
Based on what you say its possible an underground leak exists Like I said if there is a main on front of house close that too and if its still moving the meter problem is poutside the house in yard there are also many little details that I cant cover every single possibility with you

royalflush001

Reaction score
A slow leak and even half a gallon in seven hours can be concerning both for water conservation and potential damage to your property over time. While it's possible that this could be due to residual pressure changes from the recent repairs. You can opt for isolation testing, toilet leak testing, meter readings, or pressure fluctuation tests. If you have done the above, it's time to consult a professional plumber for leak detection and repair.

bingow

Reaction score
My question is:

Can 0.5 gallon usage in a 7 hour period be explained by something other than a small leak, for example, having an expansion tank with the water heater or pressure fluctuations in the main line?
Gotta ask you again, do you have a reverse osmosis system?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A slow leak and even half a gallon in seven hours can be concerning both for water conservation and potential damage to your property over time. While it's possible that this could be due to residual pressure changes from the recent repairs. You can opt for isolation testing, toilet leak testing, meter readings, or pressure fluctuation tests. If you have done the above, it's time to consult a professional plumber for leak detection and repair.
Pretty much exausted explaining stuff to him now he either has to pay someone or get busy on his DIY investigation
Have a main shut off right where the water line enters the house valve that off and check the meter overnite.
told him that already but he hasent provided info on whether such valve exists or meter location

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks