Wirsbo/Uponor PEX & future work

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by DaveHo, Feb 21, 2013.

1. DaveHo

DaveHo New Member

You can file this under "dumb questions", but would appreciate if someone(Terry?) with long term experience with the product would comment. Have you ever encountered a situation where AquaPEX which has been in service for some time fails to constrict properly after being expanded? Yes, I realize PEX-A behaves the way it does due to it's molecular make-up, etc. But lets say you have hard water or a high chlorine content, etc. Can this affect the pipe?

I recently finished a re-plumb using AquaPEX. If I need to replace a shutoff down the road, or tie into the system is this something I might encounter?

-Dave
  2. spete112

spete112 New Member

I have been working with Wirsbo for over13 years now. From time to time we have gotten called back to a house to change or add something. We have never had a problem taping into the original Wirsbo plumbing. I do realize that the pipe does have a little memory however mose of your memory and will come from the rings. We have never had any leaks with Wirsbo that can be blamed on the pipe. I have had leaks typing to stick the expander into a area that it did not fit and took small bites or wasted too much time shoving the joint togeter.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  4. DaveHo

DaveHo New Member

Thanks for the replies. There are two spots where I temporarily used Sharkbites to connect the PEX to some existing copper. The copper will get redone when I remodel those areas at which time I'll use the proper ProPex to copper sweat fittings. Good to know I don't need to hurry to get that work done as I'm ready to take a break from plumbing after redoing the entire house.

Terry, that tool is great. Bought one from the get-go & have not been disappointed. I couldn't imagine using the manual tool in some of the tight spots I worked in.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I like the light on it too. Pretty nice when I'm in a dark place.
    And the expander for 1" was pretty hard on the arms. This tool makes it easy.